CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

30th March 2010, 16:21
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Quizzes-and-Puzzles/Crosswords/Question877203.html

might be some clues here as you've got the grid
51 of 68  -   Report This Post

ajt

30th March 2010, 17:03
Thanks for that, Ixion. I've read through all the comments. If you read them too, you'll see that all say what a wonderful xword it is. No help, though, which is I suppose as it should be. I feel even more stupid now.
52 of 68  -   Report This Post

ixion

30th March 2010, 17:06
feel free to post some individual clues - even if I can't see the bigger picture
53 of 68  -   Report This Post

ajt

30th March 2010, 17:23
The grid is 13 squared. There is just one 13-letter clu, going across the cantre. The clue is "Green bird's last pair seen in diminishing habitat - vireo?" Two words. I have(given 3d is anatropy)
??p??????d?n?. For no other reason but the Vireo - could be video? I want it to be tape-recording. Crazy I'm sure.
Here's another:- Merrier drinker seen in Algiers? Spotted one in north. 8 - two words. Third letter e - from original teem.
54 of 68  -   Report This Post

ajt

30th March 2010, 17:25
Sorry again about the awful typing - should've gone to Specsavers
55 of 68  -   Report This Post

ajt

30th March 2010, 17:39
Now for instance, Ixion, here's another. I have E??A?ES. The clue is: "though not fully developed, loaf-cutter possibly delivered greatest cut." Now there aren't many words that will fit that pattern - one is ERGATES, which Chambers gives as a not fully-developed female ant. Now why?
56 of 68  -   Report This Post

confused

30th March 2010, 17:58
Now that is one of the few I can answer - loaf-cutter becomes leaf-cutter. This is a type of ant. Ergates is an anagram of greatest - less the T i.e. the word is cut.
I managed last week's listener (rare for me) but this week I'm finding v difficult - although I think I have the SW corner done
57 of 68  -   Report This Post

ajt

30th March 2010, 18:05
Thanks for that, Confused - yes, I've got 7 or 8 in that SW corner now. Have you read the comments at Answerbank? There is talk of several pennies to drop, but not one has dropped for me yet.
58 of 68  -   Report This Post

confused

30th March 2010, 18:11
Yes, this week's sounds like a good crossword.
59 of 68  -   Report This Post

ixion

30th March 2010, 19:10
it is tape recording AJT - eco(green)rd(bird's last pair) in tapering(diminishing)
60 of 68  -   Report This Post