CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

30th March 2010, 15:01
15A could also be "statua"
41 of 68  -   Report This Post

ixion

30th March 2010, 15:06
definitely statua - tatu in sa (sex appeal - IT)
42 of 68  -   Report This Post

ixion

30th March 2010, 15:19
5D - how about "pluvia" dark could become dank?
43 of 68  -   Report This Post

ajt

30th March 2010, 15:20
I don't know if yu've got 23 ac - I make it FONE. This is Spenser's word for foes - a component of battle - not bottle.
This seems to be a very heavy-going xword, and the preamble suggests that it is even more complicated than we are assuming. Reading the preamble makes my head spin!
44 of 68  -   Report This Post

ajt

30th March 2010, 15:25
5d If 15 ac is statua, 5d can't be pluvia
45 of 68  -   Report This Post

ixion

30th March 2010, 15:37
don't have the crossword - but guess it can't be pluvia - see now that the third letter is "a" if statua is correct
46 of 68  -   Report This Post

ajt

30th March 2010, 15:53
Ixion - I will type you at least a little of the reamble:-

Most clues contain a misprint of one letter in thedefinition. The correct letters, in clue order, reveal hints for deriving two versions of a question from the remaining clues. The penultimate element of the first version is one of four that share identical components, as described by a five-letter definition concealed in the grid. These four elements and another five-letter word must be highlighted to show key information relating to the question and an initial representation of the questioner.''One of the fur elements, interpreted differently, indicates which letter of which word in each non-misprint clue contributes to another message. The action it describes must be applied to the letters of the five-letter definition(and theor counterparts) to reveal a representation of that element which must be highlighted in full. Finally, the key information must be modified to provide a consistent rendition. All entries are words in both the initial and final grids.

Well, that's the lot. I really hate to be beaten by any xword, but I think I must give this one best.
47 of 68  -   Report This Post

ajt

30th March 2010, 15:55
PS Sorry about the typing errors.
48 of 68  -   Report This Post

ixion

30th March 2010, 16:00
lol I see what you mean!

don't suppose the crossword is online?
49 of 68  -   Report This Post

ajt

30th March 2010, 16:09
It is, but you have to subscibe to the Times Crossword club to get it. It's £25 annually. I find it a godsend, as I can't always get out to get the Sunday Times, and it's a joy to be able to start Mephisto with the first cup of coffee.

You must be an adept - being able to answer the clues here without the grid. You will probably have realised that there are no black squares
50 of 68  -   Report This Post