CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gwladysstreet

17th April 2015, 10:15
Jazzgirl, It was ungenerous of me not to add the rider that Ronnie Scott, RIP, was one of our finest jazz musicians.
21 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

17th April 2015, 10:23
Good morning gwladysstreet
Thanks for the Ronnie Scott quote. Loved that.
It was another forum member "Cedric" who mentioned Chris Barber .
I take this opportunity of wishing Chris a very happy 85th Birthday today. Keep swinging !
I have to dash out now. Pleased that we have another jazzy person on the forum.

22 of 33  -   Report This Post

gwladysstreet

17th April 2015, 12:59
Thank you Jazzgirl. I posted to Cedric with the thought that Chris Barber may have been offered some sort of honour and declined. Since these things are secret we'll never know.
I still treasure an old 78 of the band playing High Society with the great Monty Sunshine's wonderful solo. He (MS) and Sandy Brown were my youthful clarinet heroes.
Many Happy Returns to CB!
23 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

17th April 2015, 13:02
I don't have any of his 78's but since today's posting I have been playing some of his EP's and LP . Happy day
24 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

17th April 2015, 13:03
He was awarded the OBE in 1991 and Also awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Music
by Durham University on 28 June 2006.
25 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

17th April 2015, 13:06

jazzgirl

17th April 2015, 13:18
As well as Monty, Sidney Bechet was also, and still is one of my favourites.
27 of 33  -   Report This Post

gwladysstreet

17th April 2015, 19:44
Jazzgirl, "Petite Fleur" brought a lump to my throat!
Yes, I agree, Super Sidney Bechet.
Your post sent me up into the loft and there I found a Mez Mezzrow-Bechet Quintet 78 with "Old School" and "Bowin' (sic) the Blues"; a couple of Lonnie Donegan 78s with The Chris Barber Skiffle Group; and two with The Chris Barber Skiffle Group with Johnny Duncan on vocals; plus the aforementioned "High Society" - but with nothing now to play them on. I'll have to replace them on CD, or, as this Saturday is apparently "National Pop-Up Vinyl Shop Day" with LPs if I can find a pop-up shop in my area with a Jazz section. An OBE - Order of Blues Excellence? The Durham degree is good. Hang loose!
28 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

17th April 2015, 20:16
I have all the Lonnie records on 45rpm (Pye label: "Spin with the stars" covers!) I bought an ION UBS turntable last year with the intention of converting all my vinyl favourites onto CD but this has not yet been done. So I have just been using the turntable to play vinyl which I still love. It is now making a comeback. I have "High Society" (Chris Barber) on a compilation CD.
In my misspent youth at college I was in a skiffle group (we must have sounded like Hell )
I wish I could shimmy like my sister Kate ......
29 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

17th April 2015, 20:21
typo: USB not UBS !
30 of 33  -   Report This Post