CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

16th April 2015, 17:31
not a good idea to stand in bed gwladysstreet.... you might lose your balance and end up on the floor ;0)
11 of 33  -   Report This Post

mamya

16th April 2015, 17:32
Apart from the dictionary definition linked to above.

Wiki

//Over time, the penny dreadfuls evolved into the British comic magazines. Owing to their cheap production, their perceived lack of value, and such hazards as war-time paper drives, the penny dreadfuls, particularly the earliest ones, are fairly rare today.//

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_dreadful
12 of 33  -   Report This Post

mamya

16th April 2015, 17:33
My brother broke his elbow falling out of bed.
13 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

16th April 2015, 18:00
I once stood on the end of the bed to dust the ceiling light. It was like being on a trampoline ... I now use a stool
14 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

16th April 2015, 18:01
...is that too much information? Boing Boing
15 of 33  -   Report This Post

bernie

16th April 2015, 18:53
......time for bed!
16 of 33  -   Report This Post

mamya

16th April 2015, 19:18
;-)
17 of 33  -   Report This Post

gwladysstreet

16th April 2015, 20:00
The clue says "old comic." I did say that in the !9th century the penny-dreadful was not called a comic. It was a "book", or "booklet". Later usage clearly differs; that does not negate my point.
I foresaw that some would find my last post to be " too much information" hence my clearly failed attempt at humour. I thought some of the hipper among you might have recognised it. I misquoted it, by the way. The ODQ, 5th Edition, page 401, has "I should of stood in bed." The attribution is to Joe Jacobs, but this is disputed by some in the US.
18 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

16th April 2015, 20:18
I did spot your humour gwladysstreet. I am not hip enough to know the quotation though. Interesting debate.
19 of 33  -   Report This Post

gwladysstreet

17th April 2015, 10:07
Jazzgirl, The first time I read it was, I think, in a book by US sports writer AJ Leibling, and it made me laugh. The first time I heard anyone say it was in Ronnie Scott's club years later. It was early evening, there were few people were in the club and Ronnie Scott kicked off proceedings with a fast and furious number. The applause that came did not please him, "Let's all join hands and contact the living," he said, No-one laughed and he looked at the band and said, I'm sure he thought sotto voce, "I should of stood in bed." The band laughed.
Scott was always said to be a great wit, but I always found his humour to be cruel. Jazzgirl, somewhere I read a post about Chris Barber going unrecognised in the Honours List, was that yours?
20 of 33  -   Report This Post