CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

18th December 2014, 19:22
I was surprised how many words I knew the meaning of - about 1/5, I would guess.
41 of 56  -   Report This Post

rosalind

18th December 2014, 23:23
I particularly like Hen-hussy, a man who meddles in women's affairs.
My 3 x great grandfather wrote in his will that no future husband of his widow was to intermeddle in her affairs. Having already had nine children, she clearly felt she'd been intermeddled with enough and didn't remarry
42 of 56  -   Report This Post

claxbypluckacre

19th December 2014, 09:51
I haven't checked every word on the list but the missing words are shown as 'star words' in the 12th edition: they are shown as white on black with the def in a shaded box.
43 of 56  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

19th December 2014, 11:17
A bit of nostalgia...
The 1908 edition is now online as an e-book together with illustrations. I have the dictionary itself which is almost falling apart.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37683/37683-h/37683-h.htm
44 of 56  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

20th December 2014, 10:31
First of all, thanx a million, Jazzy, for this gem!
As an absolute novice, I have a simple question, though, which probaby any of you out there can answer: having downloaded it, is there any way I can look up a specific word now without flicking through up to one thousand pages? I'm not quite ready to read it from cover to cover like a novel (not even in this wilderness here).........................It wouldn't help to transfer it to our e-book, would it?
45 of 56  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

20th December 2014, 13:21
Hi GK
I'm sorry I can't be of any help with searching an individual word, and I know nothing about e-books/kindles and the like, as I have only real books here. I am sure someone on this forum can assist.
46 of 56  -   Report This Post

andyc

20th December 2014, 13:48
Try typing in ctrl+f simultaneously a box should appear on the screen type in the word you're after and it should then be highlighted throughout the text.

Hope this helps/works.
47 of 56  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

20th December 2014, 14:15
Thanks Andy
I tried pressing ctrl key with f with no success.
When I pressed the shift key (^)(above ctrl key) simultaneously with f2 I was able to search a specific word, via a box which appeared top RHS of screen. This was on my laptop. Brilliant.
48 of 56  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

20th December 2014, 14:27
correction: shift key + f3 (simultaneously)
The box will show how many times your particular search word appears throughout the dictionary. (Just keep pressing the "return" key to view them.)
Sorry to ixion for hijacking your Chambers 13th Ed. thread.
49 of 56  -   Report This Post

andyc

20th December 2014, 14:53
I suppose it will vary as per the operating system! Hope something will work for GK.
50 of 56  -   Report This Post