CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dandybandy

9th December 2014, 10:14
Sorry folks I've just, in a fit of absent mindedness added three blank posts! Pressed add post to bring up the keyboard. Doh. Anyway to come to the point. Under consumer law, your contract is with the retailer from whom you bought the faulty goods. If you take or send it back to them as unfit for purpose under the Sale of Goods Act and ask for a refund, it would possibly wake up Chambers when they start receiving returned copies. It won't do their sales any good either. Purely by the way my copies don't have edition numbers. One is the 1998 edition and the really battered one is a 1968 impression of the 1959 edition
21 of 56  -   Report This Post

elle

9th December 2014, 10:47
Hi, Rosalind - and others...
I bought my 13th edition from Amazon, and have already written to them requesting a replacement book when it comes out.
In theory they appear to have agreed to that, so , so far, so good.....
I have also this morning emailed Chambers to find out exactly what is going on...will update when I know more....
22 of 56  -   Report This Post

jolan

9th December 2014, 12:52
My old Chambers Dictionary (2003) plus Thesaurus (2004) are working well under Windows 7 (64-bit). They are on CD and work together. There is no Edition number visible.
I've got two questions. I'd be grateful to find out the answers.

Has anyone using the above tried to install it under Windows 8 (64-bit)? I want to know in case I change my computer.

I there a later (than 2003/4) edition available on CD? One that downloads all to the hard drive and which are accessible in the same window (as my current one is).

Thanking you in antissuepaper :-)
23 of 56  -   Report This Post

escuan

9th December 2014, 16:29
I have the CD of Chambers Dictionary and Thesaurus which installed quite happily on to Windows 8. I don't know of any subsequent CD with an updated version of the dictionary. I also find the Chambers Wizard website quite useful but don't know which edition it uses.
24 of 56  -   Report This Post

ixion

15th December 2014, 20:15
Update...Chambers have not posted the list of missing words as promised and have ignored my subsequent requests for clarification...guess they're trying to keep their heads down until Xmas is over.
25 of 56  -   Report This Post

jolan

15th December 2014, 21:58
A very belated THANK YOU escuan. I'll have no fear of an upgrade now. Happy Christmas!
26 of 56  -   Report This Post

elle

15th December 2014, 22:04
I too emailed Chambers about the missing words, as I already have a 13th edition of the dictionary, and am very concerned about the situation.
Like ixion, I have not as yet received a reply. I'm giving it a few more days and then will try contacting them by "snail-mail"- maybe sending my letter by recorded delivery.
27 of 56  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

15th December 2014, 22:19
Whoa. You don't have class action in the UK, do you? Pity.
28 of 56  -   Report This Post

ixion

15th December 2014, 23:10
Aristo...I believe your ology is one of the missing words!
29 of 56  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

15th December 2014, 23:16
Urology, did you say?
30 of 56  -   Report This Post