CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rusty

16th September 2014, 19:15
I have not read "Swallows and Amazons" but I think I would like it. I am a keen reader.
I read The Famous Five books and Just William, and The Owl of the Remove etc!
You are not like me, Elle. I cut my own hair.
Just get the kitchen scissors out and a mirror and snip away!
Been dry today but cloudy here!
21 of 36  -   Report This Post

elle

16th September 2014, 20:12
Try them, Rusty! I'm sure you would enjoy them. Chris has made me decide to read them again!
I read "Just William" and "The Famous Five" too....other childhood favourites were "Biggles", the "Little Women" quartet ( have reread the latter many times), the Narnia books.....not to mention the Winnie -the - Pooh stories!
I'm still an avid reader.
Re your hair........it's a fascinating image you present - looking at it in the mirror and snipping away at it with the scissors.........btw, does "Rusty" come from your having red hair?
22 of 36  -   Report This Post

rusty

17th September 2014, 12:07
Good morning, Elle!
There is/was a hint of red in my hair.
Not quite Prince Harry-ish but not far off! Hence Rusty.
There are sometimes references to a Little Woman in crosswords. Usually one of their names is in the answer.
Like "ad Jo urn" or "big Amy".
I think I will try Swallows and Amazons.
I frequently order books on Amazon, almost weekly.
It is dull weather here today.
Fine for walking, though!
23 of 36  -   Report This Post

elle

17th September 2014, 17:11
Just read your message, Rusty! I've been out all day until now.
Yes, good plan to read Swallows and Amazons. I'm planning to re-read them , spurred on by what Chris said yesterday.
Bear in mind though that there are 12 books in the series - buying them all could prove quite expensive. Swallows and Amazons is the first volume ( and they do need to be read in order)
A pity that we aren't nearer to each other, then we could share them ( or, even better, borrow Chris's!)
Did you read what Norah said about security? Oh dear....I think that was me....... when you told me you were going to visit with your granddaughter, I asked you how many children/ grandchildren you had. It was meant as a friend.........., not to be a security risk!!
No -one knows who we are or where we live, so I can't see a problem?
(Norah is wise though to warn generally about giving out information that can be read by anyone).
24 of 36  -   Report This Post

rusty

17th September 2014, 18:16
I can't see a problem either, Elle, but I appreciate Norah's advice. It is well intentioned.
Not been a nice day here,
A bit dreich, as they say in these parts!
25 of 36  -   Report This Post

elle

17th September 2014, 19:10
Yes, Rusty, I guess we should be careful what we put. One forgets that it isn't only regular Forum members who can access the site.
(Also about putting 'Non -crossword related' in future - then hopefully everyone will be happy)
What does 'dreich' mean, then? I take it it's some Scottish word?
Been lovely again here - misty to begin with ( at 8m when I first went out) but warm and sunny this aft.
All set for your vote tomorrow?
26 of 36  -   Report This Post

rusty

17th September 2014, 19:18
Dreich means dismal and wet.
Maybe in your Chambers, Elle?
Glad someone is getting good weather!
No vote for me tomorrow; I postal voted last week.
A fine dry day for it would be nice!
27 of 36  -   Report This Post

elle

17th September 2014, 20:34
Yes, Rusty, it IS in my Chambers!
Dreich: ( adj.) long-drawn out; tedious; dreary; (of weather) dismal.
I hadn't looked for it because I'd assumed it was a local dialect word.
I'll hope for a nice day for you tomorrow - we're forecast more sunshine and a temp of 23C!
28 of 36  -   Report This Post

rusty

17th September 2014, 21:04
I have always said that if a word is in the language, dialect, slang or otherwise, then it has earned a place in a good dictionary. Chambers has countless examples.
Our weather forecast is not very good.
The sun seems to have forgotten us!
29 of 36  -   Report This Post

elle

18th September 2014, 23:28
Hi, Rusty!
Been lovely here (again) - did a (cursory) bit of housework before making the most of the weather and spending as much time as possible outdoors.
Did you get your nice day for the Referendum turnout? Are you planning on staying up to watch the results coming in?!

30 of 36  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » @ Rusty