CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rusty

6th September 2014, 20:40
The laptop is worse now it has been repaired!
I cant access email, it is slower than ever, I am getting "script errors" and the colours have faded!!
I phoned them and they are baffled.
I am taking it back to the shop on Monday, though.
Very annoying!
Glad the printer is fine. They are cheap enough these days.
11 of 44  -   Report This Post

chrise

6th September 2014, 20:46
Have a good day on Schiehallion tomorrow, rusty (sorry - I've been listening in).

I did it some years ago with a much fitter friend, in the snow. Although it is famous for being conical (and thus used by Nevil Maskelyne to work out the value of the gravitational constant), he kept waiting for me on the "summit", then when I caught up I found that it wasn't - I think there were about 7 false summits on the route we took!
12 of 44  -   Report This Post

rusty

6th September 2014, 21:01
There are a lot of dis-spiriting false summits on the mountain! I can never remember what exactly it was that Maskelyne worked out using Schiehallion!
I thought it was the weight of the Earth or something.
Anyway, I may skip it tomorrow, as the hurling final is on Sky Sports. Kilkenny versus Tip. Should be a cracker!
13 of 44  -   Report This Post

chrise

6th September 2014, 21:04
Correct, rusty - see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevil_Maskelyne#Schiehallion_experiment
I think that from that the value of G (as opposed to g) was determinable.
14 of 44  -   Report This Post

elle

6th September 2014, 21:41
Goodness, Chris! you are certainly a mine of information! That was very interesting to read - this is a very educative site! I learn something new every day.
(I thought you were on holiday?)

Rusty, yes, printer seems ok now, I think part of the problem in installing it, is that we have just changed to Window 8.1. This in itself is somewhat confusing......I much preferred Windows XP.
It rather messed up my day- had planned to watch the Gateshead Athletics but didn't get to see much of it!
Pleasant morning tho'. Walked through the woods, then across the fields to the rive,r so the dog could have a swim.
Sorry about your lap top - hope they can sort it (again) on Monday!
Other than that, how was your day? What did you get up to?

15 of 44  -   Report This Post

chrise

6th September 2014, 21:44
Hi elle
Back last Friday. away again for a long weekend Thursday - then here (mostly) until the end of January.
16 of 44  -   Report This Post

elle

6th September 2014, 22:03
Ring the changes, Chris, why not? Go any where nice?
17 of 44  -   Report This Post

chrise

6th September 2014, 22:07
We're going to Whitby on Thursday to help prepare a friend's garden for a national fern meeting at the weekend, then some checking out of sites, then the meeting.

A nice hotel and some good meals might be involved as well!
18 of 44  -   Report This Post

elle

6th September 2014, 22:12
Sounds good, Chris (especially the nice hotel and the good meals!)
An interest in ferns is an unusual hobby. You and your wife are the only people I've known involved in such an interest - how did it come about in the first place?
19 of 44  -   Report This Post

chrise

6th September 2014, 22:17
Entirely accidentally in the first place. Although we (my wife especially) have always had an interest in botany, ferns didn't loom large - then a friend (who used to reach us at university) came to stay to go to a national fern meeting near us. She had two dogs with her, and couldn't cope with both and look at ferns, so my wife went to hold the dogs...........and has never looked back!
20 of 44  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » For Rusty