CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cagey

4th August 2013, 00:00
And that.
Amazing!
Cagey
31 of 40  -   Report This Post

lavengro

4th August 2013, 13:25
gitto the 6-letter word you need is a girl's name (think of Dickens) inside two letters for "excellent", both vowels. The result is often found in soup !!

I have a full grid, the seven blanks and the three clashes but no idea where to go from here. !!! Can make no sense of all the misprints and corrections; together they yield nothing at all. So any hints / tips would be most welcome from fellow-solvers !

Incidentally, there is no clash, gitto, in Column K.
32 of 40  -   Report This Post

unclued

4th August 2013, 14:18
lavengro - use the misprints / misprinted letters as a pair in conjunction with the letters around the grid.
33 of 40  -   Report This Post

gitto

4th August 2013, 15:43
Thanks for the hint, but I am more confused now than ever. I have a clash in columns H and L and no others!!! Like yourself, I am completely flummoxed by the final part of this. As I went word-blind I looked at this weeks offering by Dilwitch. I have just finished this, but some of the clues and answers are slightly vague.
34 of 40  -   Report This Post

lavengro

4th August 2013, 17:07
Hi gitto Try and stick with the puzzle, for there are quite a few PDMs awaiting !!! The two clashes in H and L are correct. The third clash results from the answer to the very first listed clue (the Albanian one) and the answer to the "Race..." clue in Row Q. They are not clashes as such, since NEW words can be formed....Hope this helps for now. Trust you have the quote and its author. Then your progress wil be RAPID.

Thanks for the tip, unclued ! So obvious once pointed out. I still had my work cut out, but the final stumble over the finishing line was highly satisfying ! Cheers !!
35 of 40  -   Report This Post

gitto

4th August 2013, 19:24
Lavengro
Thanks for the tip - that is if the clash at A-Q and A-U are the same, but I have no idea about the quote, or its author, unless wh and feel is a starter for 10?
36 of 40  -   Report This Post

gitto

4th August 2013, 21:02
A penny has dropped with a thunderous echo and I suddenly feel quite stupid!!!
37 of 40  -   Report This Post

carpox1

6th August 2013, 14:49
I have the "initially completed grid", with the seven blank cells and the three clashes (which I can see how to resolve). I also have all the misprint/corrections pairs except one, but I can't see how to combine these with the grid to yield the name and the key word. Any and all help gratefully received. Apologies if I'm asking too much (if anyone would prefer to help directly, I'm at speravi@btopenworld.com). Thank you.
38 of 40  -   Report This Post

unclued

6th August 2013, 18:01
Carpox - it is very easy to make mistakes with the misprints - you may easily have some wrong like I did or may have missed some altogether.
You need to use each pair of misprint / misprinted letter in conjunction with the letters around the grid. This yields a single letter each time. To check that you are on the right track, the first five resultant letters give the name of the poet. The word from the poem can be checked in ODQ.
39 of 40  -   Report This Post

carpox1

6th August 2013, 20:00
Many thanks to both unclued and Gitto for their help, which is much appreciated. I'm now able to progress to the next stage.
40 of 40  -   Report This Post