CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ciderdotndave

31st July 2013, 18:02
Hello all, this is tricky.
We have three clues to solve, second J, second N and cannot understand the cryptic indications for the second F.
Any hints would be much appreciated

Thank you
D
11 of 40  -   Report This Post

unclued

31st July 2013, 18:31
Hello Dave.
For the second J think what an MP has done when he has been in parliament.
Second N has misprint of B becoming T. There's a Latin word for "not" outside the other bits leading to a very common word.
Second F has misprint of G for Y - again a common word for the answer. I must admit I didn't fully understand how this clue works!
Good luck.
12 of 40  -   Report This Post

drvirgil

31st July 2013, 19:26
Unclued/Dave
Wordplay for the second F = remove a 2-letter word for 'cool' from a 7-letter word for 'act'...

I am really enjoying this one but it is the toughest of the year IMHO. I'm moving House on Friday and I've still got 16 clues to solve!! Something tells me filling the grid is just scratching the surface of this one...
13 of 40  -   Report This Post

unclued

31st July 2013, 20:34
Keep with it dr! The end game is not too bad once you've got the name and word from the misprints. This has been my most satisfying finish since I started doing these crosswords.
14 of 40  -   Report This Post

cagey

31st July 2013, 22:12
Well I am thick! have simply got nowhere on this one. Well 14 clues done, and I can see what to do with corrections and misprints, but that is all. Can anyone help with maybe the 7 letter z one, or V or maybe a W.

This one really frustrating me. Matbe should just look forward to the easier ones
K
15 of 40  -   Report This Post

drvirgil

31st July 2013, 22:38
Unclued - almost there! 4 clues to go and I think I have an idea about what all four might be but struggling to work out the wordplay.

Cagey - Don't worry! I have felt thick all week! At the start of this evening I had fewer than half the clues but things have really slotted into place in quite quick time, if you keep persevering.

7-letter z = take a four letter word for kiss and remove the last letter; find a five letter surname of a jazz singer and remove the 'i' (one going); the definition is 'part of the way'. It's a VERY common phrase.

V = A foreign word for 'one'; + the last letter of mansion; + a word for completed. This is one of the misprint clues...the definition should be 'without walls'

W = 9-letter anagram of Algeria + a word for 'silence'

Keep going!!
16 of 40  -   Report This Post

unclued

31st July 2013, 22:55
I found that I made the biggest strides when I started making guesses about where the words should go. The symmetry of the grid also helps because as soon as you have fixed one answer another can be allocated even if you have not solved it (remembering that some of the spaces are blanks!)
17 of 40  -   Report This Post

drvirgil

1st August 2013, 13:59
I think I've got a full grid but before I try to go on I need confirmation on a couple of things:
First K clue - does the last word have a misprint?
First L clue - there appears to be only two words which this can be, but I can't get the wordplay at all
Second Y clue - does the last word have a misprint?

Post here or email me at ttxjd17@nottingham.ac.uk if you would prefer.

Many thanks! DrV
18 of 40  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

1st August 2013, 16:04
drvirgil, answer to 1st question is no.
2nd question - think of a word that is an answer to a Xword clue followed by editor.
3rd question - yes , 'R'
Come back if you need further help.
19 of 40  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

1st August 2013, 16:25
Sorry, 3rd question - the correct letter is 'R'
20 of 40  -   Report This Post