CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

demeter

28th July 2013, 17:01
Very tough one. I've solved about half the clues, but can't really work out how to fit them together. Given that there are 3 cells containing clashes, it's very difficult to definitively place an answer in a certain position (you can't use the fact that it clashes with a certain cell as proof that it DOESN'T occupy that position).

Can anyone help me with the answer to the one in Row R:

Pretended initially to love feeling pinches (10)

I feel that if I could solve this, then I might be able to get somewhere.

Thanks.
1 of 40  -   Report This Post

drvirgil

29th July 2013, 22:23
Demeter - I wish I could help. I have 21 answers (but not that 10-letter one) and only 7 of the misprints, all of which are consonants!! I haven't been able to give it my full attention over the past few days (we're moving house on Friday) but if I get anywhere in the next few days, I shall post something. I get the impression that this is an absolute corker...certainly Lavatch's December puzzle (In Season, I think) was brilliant...
2 of 40  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

29th July 2013, 23:18
Demeter, I can help you on the clue you want. Love i.e 'O' and a word for feeling going round 'to' initially.
Hope that helps to get you going.
3 of 40  -   Report This Post

unclued

31st July 2013, 08:20
I have finished after a real struggle! Before I get round to the housework, can someone explain why this clue leads to TENE.
Bank of Scotland cut off service, leading to anger in the past (4)
Please post if you want some hints to other clues or how the end game works.
4 of 40  -   Report This Post

sussex

31st July 2013, 08:37
unclued
TENE = TENEBRAE (the service) - BRAE (the bank of scotland)

It is certainly is a toughie. I have only got about 30 of the clues. For starters maybe you could give me a hint for the first N (cattle farm ...) .
5 of 40  -   Report This Post

unclued

31st July 2013, 09:00
Thanks Sussex.
For the first N, you are looking for a four letter word meaning cattle followed by a three letter word for farm. The answer is an old fashioned word for where I saw Skyfall!
6 of 40  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

31st July 2013, 09:18
Unclued, I am struggling with the second A clue. I have ??esco (unesco /fresco ?). Also not sure I have one of the Z (luter) and one of the N (entice) clues correct. Would appreciate your comments on these.
Another problem I have is that there are 8 blanks !
I have the name and quotation but no idea on how to apply these to the grid. Cheers.
7 of 40  -   Report This Post

sussex

31st July 2013, 09:44
Thanks unclued - got it now!
8 of 40  -   Report This Post

drvirgil

31st July 2013, 13:58
uncle_w - I've got the 6 letter A clue and it's not ??ESCO. Try finding out who 'Bias' was and then put him inside a two letter abbreviation of a country...employment practices is the definition...
9 of 40  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

31st July 2013, 14:44
Thanks for the help , drvirgil. That has also sorted out my extra blank as well !
10 of 40  -   Report This Post