CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greedy kite

19th February 2013, 18:09
Very sorry, every contribution seems to be getting printed several times over: I was just trying to plead for support for our 100th Clueless (with a relevant solution for you to clue) --- I know tomorrow is another day, but if it's sunny again maybe the Great Brains will find more time (and imagination) this evening!
Sorry again to interrupt: hope you'll all forgive me! And then there's the new Radio Times waiting, too. Hard times for enthusiastic solvers & setters! gk
21 of 33  -   Report This Post

rossim

19th February 2013, 18:19
1. I parsed as Talking to(t)
22 of 33  -   Report This Post

trevor

19th February 2013, 18:34
2. parsed,
anag(cast) of 'gap, as rural movie' minus 'up marriage' = salvo - a burst.
23 of 33  -   Report This Post

andyc

19th February 2013, 18:48
nice one Trevor.
24 of 33  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

19th February 2013, 19:03
Crazy day. Very good, trevor. Just knew it was a subtractive anagram, but couldn't see what to subtract from what. Showoff.
25 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

19th February 2013, 19:20
Ditto to aristo's post. Well done Trevor.
I really loved the "repressive sea captain" clue and I'm still giggling at the thought :)
26 of 33  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

19th February 2013, 19:26
jazzgirl: I'm so slow today that "sits on his hands" is the first thing I thought of and it didn't register till I saw it in print in rosie's post. I think it's all the snow.
27 of 33  -   Report This Post

jolan

19th February 2013, 21:00
Hi again!

No problemo, GK.

Well parsed Trevor and well spotted Rossim.

I thought they might have been a bit on the easy side today but I've long learned not to comment in advance.

Here is my working. Really hoppe you enjoyed them.

1. (crypt) talking to(t) = TALKING-TO = ticking-off (Chambers D)

2. subtractive anag (leaves & ‘s cast) of “gap as rural movie” – “up marriage” yields, SALVO = a burst (Chambers Dict)

3. flower = rose; initially travelled = t; reserves = ta; yielding ROSETTA = a town in Northern Egypt.

4. (crypt) SITS ON HIS HANDS

5. anag (when working out = when developing) of “parentage arose” = personae gratae (plu. of persona grata – C.O.D)

I'm still amazed as to how you folk can solve these clues "cold turkey". I'd find it very difficult.

Has anyone heard anything about Tony (who used do such a good job of solving and parsing on this thread)? Hope he's OK.
28 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

19th February 2013, 21:21
Thanks again jolan. J

I spotted Tony on the Mephisto 2737 thread, on 10th February .
29 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

19th February 2013, 21:21
Thanks again jolan. J

I spotted Tony on the Mephisto 2737 thread, on 10th February .
30 of 33  -   Report This Post