CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

magworth

23rd January 2013, 11:37
Jazzgirl - I`m looking forward to those clips. I`ve now heard Stephen Quinn - excellent. I`m sorry he`s died. Did your father not know about Ivy Benson`s Girls` band? They came to the RAF station in Egypt when I was there. What a great touch of glamour they brought to those bleak desert surroundings. Mag.
56 of 76  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

23rd January 2013, 11:44
Hi, chrise! What impresses me even today is how a well-produced radio series could provoke fantasies far superior to anything produced nowadays by tv or the cinema. The same applied to a documentary broadcast I once heard alone in my bedroom about the Normandy landings which brought home to me the horror of war through my imagination (although my father was there).And then of course there was "Under Milk Wood" -- but I'm wandering a bit far, I realize............
57 of 76  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

23rd January 2013, 11:46
Mag, Father really could not have afforded the drums, so his "excuse" was accepted.
GK I do still play, but not as well, sadly. I am currently attempting to re-learn Schumann's Traumerei . Pass around the earplugs !
58 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd January 2013, 11:48
There is a saying "the pictures are better on the radio" - I've not been able to find its originator.
59 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd January 2013, 11:49
This is the best I can find:
medium that can add excellent value to your business when approached and managed correctly.When television came roaring in after the war (World War II) they did a little school survey asking children which they preferred and why - television or radio. And there was this 7-year-old boy who said he preferred radio ‘because the pictures were better.’" ~Alistair Cooke

60 of 76  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

23rd January 2013, 12:42
Jazzy: does that mean you played jazz earlier? If so, what kind?
Chrise: Thank you! Kids put things so originally!
61 of 76  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

23rd January 2013, 13:39
Just checking in at lunchtime.
GK I've just been rooting through my old sheet music and that brought back some happy (and some wet-eyed) moments. As soon as I could play, I "had a go" at the ragtime stuff (Scott Joplin) around 17 pieces that were lying around the house. Then followed Winnie Atwell, onto George Shearing, Gershwin, Irving Gordon (heard of him?)"unforgettable" and Fred Coots. I'm getting carried away..... (btw, Magworth and I are huge "Under Milk Wood" fans ! Yours, Mrs Willy Nilly x
62 of 76  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

23rd January 2013, 13:39
Just checking in at lunchtime.
GK I've just been rooting through my old sheet music and that brought back some happy (and some wet-eyed) moments. As soon as I could play, I "had a go" at the ragtime stuff (Scott Joplin) around 17 pieces that were lying around the house. Then followed Winnie Atwell, onto George Shearing, Gershwin, Irving Gordon (heard of him?)"unforgettable" and Fred Coots. I'm getting carried away..... (btw, Magworth and I are huge "Under Milk Wood" fans ! Yours, Mrs Willy Nilly x
63 of 76  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

23rd January 2013, 13:58
Jazzy: I see your computer has got the stutters, too: that's why I was looking forward to a gang of freaks & nerds descending on this little hamlet in summer to cure all my IT problems (see the Snow thread).
As for the music, yes, I know them all. Was always more into rock etc myself, but living in Hamburg allowed me to see just about every concert I was interested in, and in fact I'm very "eclectic" (that's the word, I suppose).Couldn't imagine life without a passion for music, tho' I never learned to play any instrument myself.That's why i was curious!
btw still waiting for my RT5 grid & clues: if it doesn't arrive soon I think I'll have to ask one of you good people to send it on to me, even if it means giving away all my secrets (again)..............
64 of 76  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

23rd January 2013, 18:12
Of course the moment I mentioned the possibility of having to beg s'one to send me the grid etc, it arrived, & I solved it quickly, so no more probs, except booking a field for you in summer : I don't think our lawn will take so many motor homes, & the rest of the land descends at a rather alarming angle into the valley..........
65 of 76  -   Report This Post