CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pipesmoker

22nd January 2013, 21:23
Funnily enough, the self same song that Mrs P was complaining about me singing last week. My encore was the Brick Layer's song. You know, the one about the barrel being heavier than the man. An excellent song. I will try rendering both again, and see if I live.
41 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd January 2013, 21:24
Gerard Hoffnung!
42 of 76  -   Report This Post

magworth

23rd January 2013, 09:04
Pipesmoker. I`d love to hear the bricklayer song. I only know it as a monologue - also another one by Hoffnung `There is a french widow in every room` .Mag.
43 of 76  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

23rd January 2013, 10:00
Hi, magworth.

If you enter Stephen Quigg into your search bit, his version of the bricklayer's song is very good. He is Scottish, so I find his diction very clear. I hope it will be the same for you. Meantime, I will google Hofnung,

Every time I tried to do this email, I get an advert for Disney World popping up. I went there once, and did nothing but moan, so I don't want to go back. Good Lord, now it is an advert for a Seat. I don't want one of them too. I hate pop ups.

P
44 of 76  -   Report This Post

magworth

23rd January 2013, 10:35
The pop-ups have been terrible lately. I keep getting one for The Sun which wipes out eeverything I`ve written. I`ll look for the song. Scottish accents are usually fine - except for Rab C Nesbitt who requires
subtitles! Mags
45 of 76  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

23rd January 2013, 10:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZUJLO6lMhI

For Magworth ! I hope this comes through OK.
46 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd January 2013, 10:45
Thanks, jazzy - whenever I hear that, I laugh until tears come to my eyes.

He always sounds much older than he was - in fact he died quite young. What a loss!
47 of 76  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

23rd January 2013, 10:48
I never met Gerard, but I did meet his daughter when she had an exhibition of her father's cartoons in Richmond . I bought several of them (prints) which adorn the wall of the "den" (music room)
48 of 76  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

23rd January 2013, 10:50
http://writingcompany.blogs.com/this_isnt_writing_its_typ/images/hoffnung_2.jpg

This is my favourite, as my husband played the Tuba
49 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd January 2013, 10:57
I was given the guide to the orchestra when I was small, and "learnt" my instruments from it. Obviously I was a bit disappointed when I first saw an actual orchestra - I was particularly looking forward to seeing the serpent, even though Hoffnung had told me that "for security reasons, it is no longer in use" (exact wroding may be wrong here - I'm not sure where the books are at the moment).
50 of 76  -   Report This Post