CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

redcoral

18th January 2013, 09:49
Following my asking who had snow well we have plenty today here in North Dorset. It's unusual for our village to get snow as we've been here for 37 years & I can count on one hand how often we've had snow that has settled here other than a sprinkling. There are even icicles hanging from the gutters! Sadly we have no Times newspaper so no crossword today unless I can access it on line!
1 of 39  -   Report This Post

rossim

18th January 2013, 10:45
Originally from South Dorset snow was rare and really exciting. I was steadier on my feet then! We have only has sleet here in South Devon.
The Guardian cryptic is easy to access on line if you are having withdrawal symptoms.
2 of 39  -   Report This Post

redcoral

18th January 2013, 10:54
Thanks rossim. It's still snowing quite heavily here but we are not going out as both of us use a stick when walking. A friend has brought us the Telegraph so we are attempting the concise xword in there!

Unfortunately I'm supposed to go to Yeovil hospital on Monday re-a hip operation But more snow is forecast for that time. I hope it's not held back proposed surgery for too long. As for grandchild & her sleepover not sure she'll get through as she lives high up in Shaftesbury!
3 of 39  -   Report This Post

mrw

18th January 2013, 10:58
4 inches here in south Wiltshire. I have reached the age where I now hate the stuff. The poor birds are finding it tough. Although there is a big patch underneath the trampoline which is clear. On or under the feeder at the moment are some chaffinch,blue tits,a black cap and a blackbird.
Apparently from winter watch, the black caps are from Belgium or Germany, the resident ones have all gone south I'd follow them if I could.
The snow is still falling and shows no sign of stopping. Got my paper though.
4 of 39  -   Report This Post

lizh

18th January 2013, 11:10
It's snowing here with a vengeance in south Oxfordshire
Husband has just ventured out to town, hardly anyone out and about.
Time to stay in and keep warm I think.
5 of 39  -   Report This Post

redcoral

18th January 2013, 11:28
I was about to reply no sign of birds on any of our 3 "feeding stations" when just now a blackbird landed on the bird table near the window & started on a fat ball. A sparrow tried some seeds but there is so much snow on the hanging seed containers it could hardly get some seed out. However it's stopped snowing now.
6 of 39  -   Report This Post

emrach

18th January 2013, 12:02
Glasgow still clear and sunny and by the looks of things we are going to miss it. Take care everyone and good luck with the op Redcoral x
7 of 39  -   Report This Post

rosalind

18th January 2013, 12:09
The snow is getting quite deep here in South Oxfordshire. My car has been cutting out and I had an appt at the electrical diagnosis place this morning so I braved it and partly walked, partly bussed back. The garage man and I have agreed, Monday is the first day I'm returning.
Good luck on Monday, redcoral. At least you won't get a metal-on-metal replacement (if that's what you're having)as a friend of mine has.
Have put out bird food and water, not a single taker yet
xxx
8 of 39  -   Report This Post

redcoral

18th January 2013, 13:49
Ohhhh! It's started snowing again here in North Dorset. I saw a group of children struggling up our hill with their sledges!
9 of 39  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

18th January 2013, 13:49
mrw: You have a TRAMPOLINE? My wife once insisted on getting one for the kids. Being an old-fashioned Yankee I naturally tend to dislike anything that might be called "fun", and the very sight of the thing sitting there in what had been a peaceful little glade always made my blood boil. After reporting its existence to our insurance company for many years, they FINALLY called and told me that if it was not removed they would cancel my policy; it was one of the happiest days of my life.
I am, however, having fun with the visual you present- of blue tits under the trampoline. I mean you did say it was cold!
10 of 39  -   Report This Post