CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

10th January 2013, 17:00
Trilliums?
62 of 80  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th January 2013, 17:08
On my property we have only Trillium erectum, which is often called wake-robin. The flowers are deep maroon- so beautiful. There's a sea of bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) next to my dooryard, and a smattering of the exquisite trout lily too (Erythronium americanum).
63 of 80  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th January 2013, 17:20
We have a number of different Erythroniums in the garden - mainly revolutum and dens-canis. We also have S. canadensis, but unfortunatley have lost a beautiful double form.
We have tried Trilliums, but with no success - and they are expensive to get hold of over here. Never seen as much money thrown at a garden as at the Queen's "Savill Garden" - amongst other spectacular things it had a double-sided Trillium border, about 50 yards long and 12 feet deep!
64 of 80  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th January 2013, 17:32
I no longer buy plants; I just use the ones that grow here naturally. I think my favorite is the most common, the false spikenard (Smilacina racemosa), which perhaps grows over there too- such a graceful habit. Snakeroot is another stunner (Cimicifuga racemosa).
65 of 80  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th January 2013, 17:39
How I envy you, aristo - if we tried the same strategy, we would be growing buttercups, celandines, stinging nettles (which I think Americans are unfamiliar with), sycamores and ash - oh, and those pernicious American weeds, rose-bay willow herb and its relatives.
66 of 80  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th January 2013, 17:45
I don't even know what rose-bay willow herb is, but you more than got back at us with plantain, which the Indians called something like Englishman's footprint. Aaaaargh! I'm forever pulling it up.
67 of 80  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th January 2013, 17:49
Ah yes, fireweed. We don't have it around here.
68 of 80  -   Report This Post

rosalind

10th January 2013, 19:32
I think rose-bay willow herb is a beautiful plant.....
69 of 80  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th January 2013, 19:34
Indeed, rosalind - it was introduced as a border plant. It just has a distressing tendency to put itself everywhere!
70 of 80  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th January 2013, 19:57
I do know the plant, and it grows here, but I haven't noticed it in my neighborhood. It's called fireweed because it takes over in burned areas. What we do have a lot of here is purple loosestrife, a European invasive that chokes out native wetland plants. The Charles River runs through my town (well upstream from Boston) and the flood plain is breathtaking when this plant is in bloom, but local beauties like the cardinal flower just can't compete with it.
71 of 80  -   Report This Post