CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bobs mum

10th January 2013, 16:39
I meant to ask do u enjoy using a Kindle? I am a bit of a book fiend and am not too sure about a Kindle --- although i can see the benefits for a holiday.
52 of 80  -   Report This Post

rambler

10th January 2013, 16:40
I've just looked at Lincolnshire library site and it's there - I'll reserve it when I get back (not owning a Kindle)
53 of 80  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th January 2013, 16:41
Well, this fellow fern admirer was just going to say that though we have many beautiful native species here (in my immediate environs) I don't think we have epiphytic ones. It must take fern-seeking to a whole new level, so to speak. Must be lovely for botanists, though rambler makes it sound like the perfect place to bask in smugness too.
54 of 80  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th January 2013, 16:43
I much prefer real books too, bobs mum - but it is superb to take on holiday. I have about 20 unread books loaded on it, ready for waiting, flying, raining etc.

It is surprisingly pleasant to read, but much trickier to turn back to check something than with a real book.
55 of 80  -   Report This Post

rosalind

10th January 2013, 16:44
I have read at least 4 books a week for decades and reckon that the local library is a lot cheaper than a Kindle!Recently I read the whole "Master and Commander" series and bought them second hand because I'm sure I'll read them again.
I like Americanisms, aristo, please continue.
56 of 80  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th January 2013, 16:46
I'm surprised that you don't have epiphytic ferns, aristo. Our Polypodiums often grow epiphytically, and they are quite common. Hymenophyllums are often epiphytic too, though they are much rarer here - I'm hoping to see lots of "filmies" on La Palma.

I'll try not to be smug if we find them, though.
57 of 80  -   Report This Post

redundantelf

10th January 2013, 16:47
bobs mum
IMHO, I think that the Kindle (and other such electronic devices) are a boon to the avid reader. I never thought that I would warm to it, but I can't imagine how I managed without it.
58 of 80  -   Report This Post

bobs mum

10th January 2013, 16:49
That's what i feel chrise, i love the feel and smell of books but i may capitulate for holiday reading--ease of transport and all that.
Currently reading -- A Humble Companion by Laurie Graham - might be a bit girlie for the guys but historically accurate.
59 of 80  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th January 2013, 16:57
Aristo
Yes - the fern expert does grow D. canariensis.
60 of 80  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th January 2013, 16:57
We have the rock polypody, which occasionally grows on tree roots, but I never see ferns up in trees. Surely they can be found elsewhere in North America, perhaps even in New England, just not in the oak-beech-hickory ecosystem of my circumscribed world. We do have the most astoundingly beautiful woodland flowers here...
61 of 80  -   Report This Post