CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

9th January 2013, 05:15
Discussed earlier in the thread rh142...

Defn - Ready for change then

Litmus Paper arrived
Acid(lysergic) went
95 of 113  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

9th January 2013, 05:28
@ rh142: I'm not sure about this, but I presume what's bothering you is (only) the "litmus paper". The initials surely refer to the new c. then introduced, just as the "acid" refers to the old one.At least that's the way I see it; NOT an anag (=I don't see one).
And @ livs: very touched by your concern for my plight! I am so ignorant of everything technological, even what we have installed here, it might be better for you to contact an expert like "james", too. I can only say everything suddenly worked beautifully with the same Java update you mention (I seem to remember the numbers in the labyrinth of technicalities I had to go through). I'd rather have a future free of such problems (to take up that key word again)than the 100 pound prize. And btw apparently the G.X. Editor is probably quite unable where he is to diagnose the many different tech. probs. that inundate him every day, so my rather harsh criticism was perhaps unjustified.
On the more general q. of my "satisfaction" with the G. in France, you may not have gathered a few months ago I had to cancel my (expensive) subscription because the editions were arriving far too late to be worth such an expense. And as the paper is only available here 1 day later at a high price a long way from here, I now have to make do with the virtual one, & I'm one of those old-fashioned people who will never be reconciled to that.
To sum up, I find it absurd that in our day & age there is absolutely no way of seeing a British paper regularly in Europe within a reasonable delay at an affordable price -- but that's the way it is!
Good luck with your problems & sorry I can't help much directly. Despite everything it WAS a very fascinating puzzle I was amazed to be able to finish alone, tho' as usual of course some of the parsing had to be explained to me! gk
96 of 113  -   Report This Post

livs

9th January 2013, 13:16
Finished! No way of sending it in, of course, but never mind because I figured out how to de-stress enough to tackle the crossword: I needed to take off 4 layers of glitter nail varnish, a job which requires time and patience - although those of you who didn't know who Jimmy was probably don't know about that!

Anyway, I settled down with the crossword at the same time AND IT WORKED! I'm done. I just don't seem to have 10 of those answers, just 7. And I've no idea what 15D's about, though I have an answer which fits perfectly. It's odd not to have any inroad into a clue at all, but I simply haven't with that one:

15D A Catherine or Sharon, say (5)

It's probably too early to give my answer, but if anyone can give a hint to the parsing for that or:

(29A Banter initially heard in diner...)
31A ... on account of piles (5)

I have a word meaning piles, and my answer looks like one of the 10, but I can't make anything else of it.
97 of 113  -   Report This Post

tony

9th January 2013, 13:32
15d State - say ..Catherine/Sharon Tate

29a C h aff

31a Loads
98 of 113  -   Report This Post

livs

9th January 2013, 13:38
Thanks, Tony - I was wrong then because I had 'SHAPE'. I agree about the other 2, I just don't see why it's loads, apart from loads = piles.
99 of 113  -   Report This Post

tony

9th January 2013, 13:44
LSD (part of the theme) + OA (on account of)

L OA DS - piles
100 of 113  -   Report This Post

livs

9th January 2013, 13:49
Thanks again, never seen that abbreviation (OA).
101 of 113  -   Report This Post

livs

9th January 2013, 13:53
Actually, is 15D one of the 10? 30D-state works, and if it's S+tate, that makes sense too. Although I don't get the 'say' in the clue if it's one of the 10, because Catherine & Sharon are both spelled Tate.
102 of 113  -   Report This Post

tony

9th January 2013, 13:59
Say = State
103 of 113  -   Report This Post

ixion

9th January 2013, 15:05
I took 31A to be a homophone of loess(chaff) with a D put in?
104 of 113  -   Report This Post