CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

syzygy

9th November 2012, 02:04
More re the apostrophe enigma, short & simple:

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp

I got flak once about North American heathens & their perversion of the Queens' English (Royal "We" ?). q-;

Definitely UK:
http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/page2.html

51 of 84  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

9th November 2012, 10:04
Also, they don't have 'actresses' in the theatre any more. Male or female, they're all 'actors' now...
52 of 84  -   Report This Post

chrise

9th November 2012, 10:06
Some people don't like putting an "s" directly after a number or a capital letter - when did you last see the plural of "CD" without its unwanted apostrophe (CD's)?
53 of 84  -   Report This Post

bernie

9th November 2012, 11:04
You were right about opening a can of worms Rambler, a catering can!
54 of 84  -   Report This Post

jws

9th November 2012, 11:44
I’m a bit worried about no actresses. “As the Bishop said to the actor” has a whole new meaning.
55 of 84  -   Report This Post

rosalind

9th November 2012, 12:28
Once all actresses were actors.Or acTORS as some insist on saying.

Have aa amusing book "Politically Correct Bedtime Stories", with frog's and princess's. The former was once a real estate developer.....
56 of 84  -   Report This Post

rosalind

9th November 2012, 12:36
Sorry, finger trouble, "an" not "aa"
Also should be "actresses"

I usually say "as the B said to the A" anyway. Phew!
57 of 84  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

9th November 2012, 12:59
The youngsters appear to have circumvented the bishop actress/actor problem by replacing the whole expression with "that's what she said". Still a gender issue there though. Jws, I don't see your problem with 'the bishop said to the actor' - the bishop is probably a woman!
58 of 84  -   Report This Post

les40

9th November 2012, 18:23
Well, that went well, what a great debate.

A bit more synchronicity just happened, 5 minutes ago on the North West Granada Reports, a man has just won damages for sexual abuse by a Jeshuit teacher (PE teacher)at Preston Catholic College in the 1970's,
If you read post 13, you'll know what I mean. I just phoned my brother and he knew about the case. I asked him if he ever had trouble with dodgy teachers and he said that most of them couldn't be trusted with the boys.
59 of 84  -   Report This Post

syzygy

9th November 2012, 19:57
@Bullfrog - you must be psychic. I was going to mention that.

Ironically, after all the PC nonsense, at awards ceremonies they differentiate by having Best "male" & "female" Actor categories.

Why not just one, if they're all "actors"?

I gather in Shakespeare's day they were all male. Hard to visualize "Cleopatra" & "Romeo & Juliet".
60 of 84  -   Report This Post