CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mrs trellis

8th November 2012, 14:57
Great thread! I agree aristo, Torky's point (while correct, I'm sure) does indicate the team of St John - and I don't think he was tall enough to play basketball.
21 of 84  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

8th November 2012, 14:59
Just checked in and found this very interesting. I hang my head in shame as I posted "thanks to the two chris's" (being chrisE and chrisG) on a previous RT thread. I knew it was wrong as soon as I saw it appear. I guess I should have written "thanks to the two chrises" ?!
22 of 84  -   Report This Post

chrise

8th November 2012, 15:21
Indeed, jazzgirl!
The "Jesus" possessive problem has been neatly sidestepped by the church by inventing someone called "Jesu" - then "Jesu's" becomes correct.
23 of 84  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

8th November 2012, 15:21
If you can't trust Wikipedia...

"The company is named from its sailboat heritage, after Land's End, but the misplaced apostrophe in the company name was a typographical error that the founder (Gary Comer) could not afford to change, as promotional materials had already been printed."

You'd think they'd have enough money now.
24 of 84  -   Report This Post

rambler

8th November 2012, 15:25
Yes, half my wardrobe's their stuff. Did you know their UK base is in Rutland? I'd love to live there.
25 of 84  -   Report This Post

les40

8th November 2012, 15:28
What's the story on Land's end Rambler?
I'm not with you on this, you've lost me
26 of 84  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

8th November 2012, 15:31
I've often wondered about that odd apostrophe, and now I know. The company is very popular here, though we New Englanders have our beloved L.L. Bean for the kinds of things New Englanders really need.
27 of 84  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

8th November 2012, 15:32
Do people actually use Jesu except in hymns chrise? Must say I've never seen Jesu's - I would have assumed the apostrophe was a mistake if I had!
28 of 84  -   Report This Post

rambler

8th November 2012, 15:33
The company name is 'Lands' End' which is grammatically wrong. aristo explains above how it came about. It grates every time I see their catalogue. I said it was a can of worms!
29 of 84  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

8th November 2012, 15:35
aristo - there's always the option of working round the problem by using the definite article and referring to them as 'the St John's basketball team'.
30 of 84  -   Report This Post