CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

syzygy

9th November 2012, 19:58
Forgot to add this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actor

61 of 84  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

10th November 2012, 07:18
Morning all. On the question of grammar, does any of you fellow pedants share my irritation at the use of 'I' instead of me? I have a friend who constantly says things such as "He said to Steven and I". I invariably interject "and ME", to which she looks at me disdainfully and says "No, I'm sure you weren't there". Which serves me right I suppose.
62 of 84  -   Report This Post

syzygy

10th November 2012, 08:10
Right on, Mrs Trellis !!

I work with fairly well-educated people & that crops up frequently; also in the Canadian media. Hope the BBC hasn't succumbed.

The worst I've seen & I so regret not scanning that letter to the editor, for posterity. Not even a [sic]:
"My husband & I's taxes are too high."
That was from a businesswoman.

A suggestion re "He said to Steven and I".
Your approach sadly didn't get through. Maybe you were too subtle. (-;

Short of a lesson on pronouns, this has worked on occasion.
Ask them how they would phrase it if Steven wasn't there.

63 of 84  -   Report This Post

chrisg

10th November 2012, 08:24
This site might help
http://queens-english-society.com/guide_9.html
64 of 84  -   Report This Post

syzygy

10th November 2012, 08:28
Over here they say, "Me & my husband ...".

Go figure!

65 of 84  -   Report This Post

rambler

10th November 2012, 09:11
I'm a conjunctionist, are you a prepositionist?

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/than-I-versus-than-me.aspx
66 of 84  -   Report This Post

shrink

10th November 2012, 09:21
This thread has reassured me that I am not the only one who gets cross about apostrophes! I live in Rutland and pass Lands' End every morning on my way to take the kids to school. Annoys me every day.
The thing that I can't help but correct is when people say "less" instead of "fewer". It comes out of my mouth before I've thought about it.
The discussion about the double possessive is very interesting, but I'd settle for not seeing signs saying "potato's for sale" for the time being!
67 of 84  -   Report This Post

rambler

10th November 2012, 09:52
Another pet hate - Jane Hill (BBC) and others saying: 'Coming up in the next half an hour'.
68 of 84  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

10th November 2012, 10:07
Syzygy, I think my friend now knows what I'm getting at, I have explained the whole removing the third person thing but she is refusing to bow to my pedantry. In fact I'm surprised she's still talking to me. Shrink - I agree, less for fewer is another pet hate. Supermarkets have started using 'no more than 10 items' on their express checkouts. Cowards.
69 of 84  -   Report This Post

bernie

10th November 2012, 10:07
If you're travelling North bound!
70 of 84  -   Report This Post