CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

scarlett

7th November 2012, 12:11
Thanks mrs trellis - got it now!
105 of 135  -   Report This Post

crucible

7th November 2012, 12:31
In the first of these puzzles I tried Mrs Trellis's suggestion (putting in the other partner's enumeration) but I think it made things too easy. If adding this extra difficulty has irritated some of you, it doesn't seem to have put everyone off: apparently several (presumably correct) solutions were submitted before breakfast on the first day!
106 of 135  -   Report This Post

peterm

7th November 2012, 12:41
Crucible - many thanks for taking the trouble to comment on this thread. Helpful and much appreciated. I, for one, thought this was a good puzzle. My only real beef is with 5ac - the pairing is unknown to me.
107 of 135  -   Report This Post

crucible

7th November 2012, 12:49
PeterM: if you Google "reuse and" the first item to appear is "recycle". It wasn't until I did this that I made it a 'partner' clue, thinking it might not be "well-known".
108 of 135  -   Report This Post

peterm

7th November 2012, 13:00
Fair enough, but all the other pairings can be easily deduced without googling. Maybe it's just me, but I think the 5ac pairing is not obvious and a bit out of sync with the others.
109 of 135  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

7th November 2012, 13:37
Hi crucible - fair enough, it is supposed to be challenging after all. I finally got in tune with it towards the end, so I hope your next one is soon, before I've lost the plot again! peterm, I thought 5a was reasonable, it's a very 'of the moment' expression - but you coped far better with the rest of it than I did - so vive la difference :-)
110 of 135  -   Report This Post

james

7th November 2012, 13:38
Hi Mr Crucible. Many thanks for dropping on our forum. The fact that this forum exists every month shows the interest generated by the Genius crosswords.

My penny's worth: I agree with Mrs Trellis WRT letter counts.

Also agree with peterm WRT 5Ac. Not a real "partnership" to my mind (as I already stated back at post number 24).

Otherwise, kudos for one or two gems - 19A was my favourite by a country mile (I live in France and the clue was quite brilliant).
111 of 135  -   Report This Post

dove

7th November 2012, 19:28
At the point in the puzzle where, for 8 down, I had (L--) (-A-K), I really, really wanted it to be Lee Mack.
Even after I realised what the answer was, I still wanted it to be Lee Mack.
I could imagine Lee Mack doing the crossword with other people, seeing the clue, and saying,
"Lee Mack"
(everyone ignores him)
"Is it Lee Mack??"
(long pause whilst others discuss it...)
"I know what it is...it's Lee Mack!!"
(even after everyone else has said the answer)
"I know---Lee Mack."

In fact, it would make a good name for a tour: Lee Mack ...And Think of Etc.

Thank you for a very enjoyable puzzle, Crucible!
112 of 135  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

7th November 2012, 19:49
Very funny dove - I too thought it was Lee Mack, but couldn't make his regular oppos Tim Vine or David Mitchell work into the clue. Shame.
113 of 135  -   Report This Post

dizoz

8th November 2012, 03:06
hi dove and mrs trellis,
I thought I was done after "uncovering" 1a ,finding 16a (Becky I think) and picking LEE,MACK for 8d.
Is that right or do I keep on tearing my hair (or what's left of it) ?
114 of 135  -   Report This Post