CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chris4food

9th October 2012, 19:09
Nice and dry, thanks, Chrise. Altho it's threatening rain tomorrow!
Off to visit middle daughter on Sunday, she's just moved house for the nth time in as many years - got the wanderlust within a very small radius of Hay on Wye!!! Looking forward to seeing the little ones, too - don't see them often enough unfortunately..
21 of 36  -   Report This Post

wally

9th October 2012, 22:30
Yes thanks chrise! I had thought of that for the first word and entered it, went off for some other clue, and forgot it was an anagram when I came back for the second word, so I had to resort to a word that fitted, but could not see how it meant disease. I must be (getting) old
22 of 36  -   Report This Post

devonian

10th October 2012, 12:00
Hullo all - nice to hear about sunny weather in other parts of the UK - been raining & wet mist here since Sunday evening, getting to be most depressing. Finished the puzzle, but never heard of the 'Norfolk' pole or windmill centre shaft for 22a, but got it from Mary & worked back
23 of 36  -   Report This Post

bees

10th October 2012, 18:20
Thanks, folks. I too was stuck on 18d and 21a.Foiled again!
How is everyone going with medical treatments?
I forgot what new pseudonym was assumed by John from Arran. Does he still post here?
24 of 36  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

11th October 2012, 10:19
'Morning All.

Not too bad this week, but I thought 20 across was a bit vague. I can't see where container fits in to the answer. At first I thought it might be return for comeback and urn being the container, but the Wordfinder showed that to be wrong. Even with what I now believe to be the answer ie retort, I still can't see where container fits in. Have I missed something obvious?

Hope all are well. I have just had my stay in SGH, so am now relishing the delights and comforts of home life.

Best wishes.

P
25 of 36  -   Report This Post

chrise

11th October 2012, 10:37
Hi pipesmoker
Retort is a container used in distillation in chemistry.
I must confess that I had "return" too!
26 of 36  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

11th October 2012, 12:40
Many thanks, Chrise. Yet another of the many things I did not know. The gaps in my knowledge are widening by the hour.

Best wishes.

P
27 of 36  -   Report This Post

mondrian

11th October 2012, 14:14
Hello Pipesmoker. Your description of the gaps in your knowledge fit me too!!

I have been struggling with this crossword - nothing unusual there then, you say. Amongst others I cannot get 3D Boy gets new cinema outing as Miss Marple or 4DE Coastal town or 8A Smash the plate before you start mind-reading. And so it goes on ......

Bees. In answer to your query, I do not think John from Arran has posted for a long time. He ceased posting about 2/3 years ago as something unpleasant happened after he let us know his postal address when he opened his garden for a day to the public along with other gardens on the Island. This was a great pity. He had been a very regular contributor previously and very skillful at using the computer. I think this event led to our having to register to use this site.
28 of 36  -   Report This Post

chrise

11th October 2012, 14:20
Hi mondrian
3d is the name of an actress who has played Miss Marple
8 is an anagram with Y(ou) start
I don't know how to describe 4d, but the first word is also an anagram
29 of 36  -   Report This Post

mondrian

11th October 2012, 14:26
chrise. Thank you. That gives me something to work on. I have a feeling I may be back for more help
30 of 36  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT 42