CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greedy kite

6th July 2012, 16:13
......and btw (Q.3) now that I've printed it out, as I find it much easier to solve that way, can I only submit it online, if the closing date is the end of July, I'd prefer to pay the postage and hope they'd accept it that way.Why this business of registering, too, which isn't necessary to get at the Prize X-wd on Sat.? Does the G. in its wisdom distinguish between its different puzzles? Don't follow at all.
41 of 51  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

6th July 2012, 16:18
Hi gk, I can't see a closing date on the site either. It used to vary depending on when the first Monday of the following month fell. However, I think the safest thing is to submit it by the last day of this month.
I agree - far more things could be submitted online, saving time & postage.
42 of 51  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

6th July 2012, 16:20
I presume that as it's only available online it can only be submitted online. Think of all the Euros you'll save!
43 of 51  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

6th July 2012, 16:33
Yes, but when I've filled it in on paper, I would then have to type it all bazck into the machine! You see, I'm a Luddite at heart.Oh well, must get back to JE: only done a bit so far & already marked several clues by very diff. people as particularly clever & witty!Then there are at least 4 Guardians lying around, partly from my cancelled subscription (they arrive anything up to 10 days late!), partly purchased at normal price (!) in England!Life is just too kind to me at the moment. Thank you again for your interest & answers. It's nice to be in contact again. gk.
44 of 51  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

6th July 2012, 17:37
I always work off a printed copy too, as I suspect most people do. It is a bit of a pain having to re-type it all, I agree. But as they say, "first world problems"......
45 of 51  -   Report This Post

james

6th July 2012, 18:00
But of course one must print it first; otherwise, how can you do the darn thig sitting in your deckchair in the garden?

(Rain? What rain?)
46 of 51  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

10th July 2012, 17:04
Just got to this today (been on holiday) and after a fruitless first run through nearly gave up but thanks to hints on this thread have finished but only got 1dn by well, 1dn really but don't understand why. Explanation would be gratefully received. AJT1 - if you see this, 19ac works if you read the answer as a verb followed by "up" means to water.
47 of 51  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

10th July 2012, 18:25
Hi teenieleek, hope you had a nice holiday. I think you'll see from the thread that a few of us are baffled by 1d! Anyone cracked the parsing yet?
48 of 51  -   Report This Post

james

10th July 2012, 18:52
Re 1D parsing. I suspect the question applies to the second word only. This works as being the opposite of a FAT KING. Google "fat king" and "Melon".

The definiton alludes to the expression "pro bono publico" (good work) or simply "pro bono". Which links to the author of the full entry for 1D.

That's how I see it anyway.

49 of 51  -   Report This Post

neveracrossword

10th July 2012, 19:02
Re 1 down, I think the first word parsing is just: not yet ie later; the lot not quite ie all missing (l) second word already explained. Not quite finished yet, but enjoying this latest tester from the master.
50 of 51  -   Report This Post