CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dizoz

3rd July 2012, 08:20
thanks AJT1, I already checked with CWW, and , if "r_a_a" is correct, it gave me two spellings of what was an acceptable word. my problem is to justify which spelling is intended. comment???
21 of 51  -   Report This Post

dizoz

3rd July 2012, 08:35
hi AJT1, FORGET my last posting!!! I just googled the third fitting word and ,guess what, it gave the right answer , thanks anyway!!!
22 of 51  -   Report This Post

ajt1

3rd July 2012, 08:46
Dizoz- didn,t it give you three words? If I read you correctly there is something that cowboys use that has two acceptable spellings - and it isn't that. There is a third possibility which fits the definition exactly
23 of 51  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

4th July 2012, 09:42
Just one left, can anyone help please with 5d: I have e?o/?c?l? I can only find one thing that fits but relates to chess - am I barking up the wrong tree?
Also I can't complete the parsing to the second half of 1d, although i have the answer. Same with 22d - where should my 'ocu' have gone before being removed?
Thanks in advance, mrs t
24 of 51  -   Report This Post

peterm

4th July 2012, 10:00
Mrs T - you're right about 5dn. GM is Grand Master in chess. The magazine is the outer 4 letters of the answer and the middle bit is the "prize" less r.
22dn - the "old copper" is d (as in £sd). Put it in the answer (def: pullover) and you've got an old African country.
I'm also unsure about the parsing of 1dn. Can't see the "not Melon" bit.
25 of 51  -   Report This Post

james

4th July 2012, 10:39
Try Googling "Fat King Melon".
26 of 51  -   Report This Post

peterm

4th July 2012, 10:50
Thank you James. A new one on me.
27 of 51  -   Report This Post

james

4th July 2012, 10:58
Me too. 8-)
28 of 51  -   Report This Post

mrs trellis

4th July 2012, 12:17
Thank you so much chaps - don't think I'd ever have got there with working those out.
29 of 51  -   Report This Post

james

5th July 2012, 17:00
Well, I assume everybody's filled in all the answers by now (even me).

I'd like therefore to ask for some explanations if that's allowed.

16A. I believe I have the correct answer and nothing else fits. The first letter goes with "English", and the last four go with "mate". Assuming that's OK, then I can't justify letters 2-6.

1D. I'm assuming the definition is "translated from good work". Do you agree? And if so, how does that fit with the answer?

Any help would be appreciated (without contravening any forum ethics of course).

30 of 51  -   Report This Post