CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

peterm

5th July 2012, 17:33
16ac: letters 2 - 6 give a word meaning selection with the addition of a letter at the end.
1dn: the name of the person who first coined the answer means good in Latin.
31 of 51  -   Report This Post

cmk

5th July 2012, 19:41
... and we're not talking about the lead singer of an Irish rock band...
32 of 51  -   Report This Post

james

5th July 2012, 21:57
Many thanks for the explanation for 1D. Clever Mr A!

For 16A, I used CWW, and the only possible sequence was ETHNICALLY. So you can understand my problem. I now see daylight.

Oof! Thanks for your help!

33 of 51  -   Report This Post

eboyd

6th July 2012, 00:57
AH! I also had 'ethnically' for 16ac as it was the only word I could find to fit even though I could make no sense of the 'thnic' part - as the Genius is the only crossword I ever submit guess I won't be winning this month - no change there then.
While I'm here can someone please explain 12ac?
My answer relates to 1ac, has a 4 letter word meaning trance around a letter which is one of the Roman 'numbers' - I'm assuming 'centre (of)' is the definition but can't relate it to the answer.
Thanks in advance.
34 of 51  -   Report This Post

ajt1

6th July 2012, 08:07
For EBoyd.
12ac does relate to 1ac, and there isn't a definition. It is just that - centre of number, in a 4-letter word for trance.
35 of 51  -   Report This Post

james

6th July 2012, 08:38
Yes, but M is not the centre of "number". M is, however, a number (Roman). So I suspect "centre" might be a definition after all.
36 of 51  -   Report This Post

peterm

6th July 2012, 09:41
I saw "centre of" pointing to the punctuation in more or less the centre of the clue, which would otherwise be superfluous.
37 of 51  -   Report This Post

ajt1

6th July 2012, 10:10
I thought it was just another way of saying a number was in the centre, as you might for instance, say "the garden had a centre of grass"
38 of 51  -   Report This Post

peterm

6th July 2012, 10:36
My take is "centre of" (pointing to punctuation) as the definition, with the rest of the clue as the cryptic part. Whatever, it's clearly very devious.
39 of 51  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

6th July 2012, 15:52
Can s'one please reveal to me,as you've now all agreed & finished,and since I can't see this anywhere on the site, when the closing date is for submissions, assuming I want to join in the fun? Was away in England, & Mrs T believes she "saw" me on this site once, probably when I helped out, as I'm not a regular G. fanatic.And btw if this can be submitted online, why not Saturday's Prize Competition, too? I have the problem living abroad that, however fast I finish, it will probably never reach Birmingham on time from her by snail mail.So in fact TWO qq. to be answered, please!
40 of 51  -   Report This Post