CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

12th June 2012, 17:01
Thanks Jolan,
It’s been good fun as always, but
I have only 4 to offer:

1.Heave-ho
3. Will o the wisp
4. Scaramouch
5. A shot in the dark

21 of 40  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

12th June 2012, 17:02
2. hauls the lead ?
22 of 40  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

12th June 2012, 17:06
1) HEAVE-HO
2)
3) WILL-O'-THE-WISP
4) SCARAMOUCH
5) A SHOT IN THE DARK

Figured 2 was something like something the wind.
23 of 40  -   Report This Post

phillip

12th June 2012, 17:09
No2. sound = def = measure depth
gag = be sick = heave
first place = the lead.
24 of 40  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

12th June 2012, 17:10
See it now, phillip. Have heard the expression but never would have dredged it up.
25 of 40  -   Report This Post

jolan

12th June 2012, 17:13
...Hi, also, Andy. Thanks everyone for having a go. Phillip gave great hints and, as I must go away for a few hours, here are my workings

1. (double) HEAVE-HO = dismissal. (It’s “of” sailors’ call to exertion = heave ho!)
2. gag = HEAVE; (in) first place = (in) THE LEAD. Yielding HEAVE THE LEAD = sound.
3. anag(resolve = break up/down) of “who’ll sip it we” = WILL-O’-THE-WISP = any elusive and deceptive person or thing.
4. beat it = SCRAM; without (A) = animation at first = SCARAM expressing pain = OUCH; yielding SCARAMOUCH = a bragging cowardly buffoon (Chambers).
5. (cryptic) A SHOT IN THE DARK = wild speculation

My absence will be because my darling wife Helen (91) has recently been diagnosed with Paget’s Disease and is having a mastectomy (coupled with a Sentinel Node biopsy) on Monday 18th. Normal visiting-hours are 1330 – 1430 and 1830 – 1930. The hospital is 25 miles from here and,so, I will be spending a lot of time on the road. See you when she’s home and well. Bless!
Jolan

26 of 40  -   Report This Post

phillip

12th June 2012, 17:18
So sorry to hear that Jolan. Hope Helen and you recover quickly. All the best. Terry.
27 of 40  -   Report This Post

andyc

12th June 2012, 17:19
Well done Phillip.

Great clues once again Jolan. I hope everything goes well for both you and your wife and that her treatment provides some relief.
Best wishes
AndyC
28 of 40  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

12th June 2012, 17:22
oh Jolan
I am so sorry to hear about your situation.
It seems these things happen to the nicest people. I send you my heartfelt wishes for Helen's good recovery and for you, the strength to deal with this.
Jazzy
xx
29 of 40  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

12th June 2012, 17:32
So sorry to hear it, Jolan. My mother, whose name is Helen too, just finished six weeks of daily radiation treatment for breast cancer and it's been such a long haul, but fortunately there's a branch of the superb Dana-Farber Cancer Institute only a couple of miles away. Your Helen will be in our prayers.
30 of 40  -   Report This Post