CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drumbeat

3rd June 2012, 22:09
Hi Rosalind, in 1953 at primary school, all pupils at school were presented with a Coronation mug which had Union Jacks and a photograph of the Queen on it if I remember correctly. We also received a small copy of the New Testament with the Royal Cipher inscribed inside the front covert. Sadly I no longer have either…I’ve no idea what became of them.

I too watched the Coronation on my late parents 8” monochrome Bush television set (the only channel was BBC) and we sat in the dark with the curtains (USA drapes) drawn for some reason!!
21 of 38  -   Report This Post

rosalind

3rd June 2012, 23:32
We had Coronation mugs too, I think every schoolchild in the country got one. I broke mine just a few years ago.
I think we watchewd in the dark- maybe it was easier to see the screen.
22 of 38  -   Report This Post

beth

4th June 2012, 00:28
i have just seen rosalind's cake!
absolutly brilliant!!
you would never believe it was'nt a real crown,in my younger days i worked at decorating speciality cakes and wedding cakes so i appreciate the time and care going into making it,it's just perfect!
well done Rosalind!
luv,Beth x
23 of 38  -   Report This Post

beth

4th June 2012, 00:51
i remember being at primary school age 7in 1952 and getting a tin of caramels with the queen's picture on the top,
ahh, the good old days!
luv, Beth x
24 of 38  -   Report This Post

pastille

4th June 2012, 01:16

Rosiland your cake has brought so many people together...

X
25 of 38  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

4th June 2012, 01:25
Astonishing, though I'm not at all surprised that Rosalind is so variedly talented.
26 of 38  -   Report This Post

syzygy

4th June 2012, 03:07
Marvellous work, Rosalind! I showed everyone at work. They were very impressed.

The Queen also visited the colonies. We were in NZ & she even stopped in our small town, Stratford, pop. 2500. The main street was lined with bleachers (grandstands) & everyone came. We got the day off school, were served a luncheon & given small mementos.
Alas, the coronation mugs (glass) came from the grocer & were filled with peanut butter, which was a bit of a treat then. Mater bought a dozen. By the time they were emptied & put aside for special occasions, no-one was too keen on peanut butter anymore. q-:

27 of 38  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

4th June 2012, 08:27
hi Rosalind
I've just got home after weekend away and this lovely thread was first to catch my eye. Your cake is absolutely stunning. Well done!
J
28 of 38  -   Report This Post

rambler

4th June 2012, 09:02
My coronation tumbler (blue enamel,gold rim and two coats of arms) is currently on show with other memorabilia in the Cottage Museum jubilee exhibition.

http://www.woodhallspa.org/
29 of 38  -   Report This Post

rosalind

4th June 2012, 09:16
rambler- I navigated to the Museum Section (it looks fascinating) bt when I clicked on the photo gallery, I got the dreaded "can't get to the site" notice.

Thank you all very much for your kind comments. I'll let you know how this afternoon goes, when the cake gets cut and, hopefully, eaten. I was asked to keep a note of the hours it took; those I noted down came to 185. But I had to learn as I went, since that's only the 11th serious cake I have made.
I have been thinking how to make a crossword cake, Aristo. Luckily one can buy black paste, as it seems impossible to make at home (starting with white).I had to think what you meant by putting one down, as here it's what we do to very sick animals!!
Roz
30 of 38  -   Report This Post