CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rossim

23rd May 2012, 11:22
Not many people are as conscientious as you Jazzgirl. Others take over gardens with them already there and don't realise the original ones in USA are over 100ft - and still growing!
You take care x
31 of 65  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

23rd May 2012, 11:37
I am extra careful now rossim ! Heavy-duty gloves, no longer a cable to slice through and only two steps up a small step-ladder ;)I may even post a photo on photobucket !
32 of 65  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

23rd May 2012, 12:36
Jolan, where are you?

I don't care for hedges; what I call my hedgerow is more like a strip of jungle. I still tend the hedges on my mother's property, however; there's an 8-ft. hemlock one and and a 12-ft.(!) spruce one, along the frontage. To trim the latter I simply lean an extension ladder against the hedge itself (that's how dense it is)- not very safe but I'm not about to set up scaffolding. I looked up Leylandii and found this fascinating bit:

The Cypress's rapid growth (up to a metre per year), great potential height, often over 20 metres (66 ft) tall in garden conditions, they can reach at least 35 metres (115 ft), and consequent heavy shade which results in their capacity to cut out light, can make them a problem. In 2005 in the United Kingdom, an estimated 17,000 people were at loggerheads over high hedges, which led to violence and in at least one case murder, when in 2001, retired Environment Agency officer Llandis Burdon, 57, was shot dead after an alleged dispute over a leylandii hedge in Talybont-on-Usk, Powys.[12]

Part VIII of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 introduced in 2005 - also known as the “leylandii law”[12] - gave a way for people affected by high hedges (usually, but not necessarily, of leylandii) to ask their local authority to investigate complaints about the hedges, and gave the authorities power to have the hedges reduced in height.[14] In May 2008, UK resident Christine Wright won a 24 year legal battle to have her neighbour's Leylandii trees cut down for blocking sunlight to her garden.
33 of 65  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

23rd May 2012, 12:46
So you needn't travel to Ciudad Juarez to do your Indiana Jones thing; Talybont-on-Usk will do.
34 of 65  -   Report This Post

rosalind

23rd May 2012, 13:44
talybone -on-Usk sounds lovely, far too nice a place for murders. My older son moved to North Wales yesterday- I can't yet pronounce the name of the place!
35 of 65  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

23rd May 2012, 13:53
I believe that many of our Welsh immigrants, like the Polish ones, came here looking for vowels.
36 of 65  -   Report This Post

rosalind

23rd May 2012, 17:05
Did they find any?
37 of 65  -   Report This Post

pastille

23rd May 2012, 17:10
Dundonians have vowels to spare...

Eh! Eh et it a!

Yes! I ate it all!

And with practice you can say it without moving your lips.
38 of 65  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

23rd May 2012, 17:16
Some of them ended up in Mississippi. Be careful what you ask for; you might get nothing but Is.
39 of 65  -   Report This Post

andyc

23rd May 2012, 17:16
It's been over 24 hours now since Jolan's last posting....most disconcerting! I do hope everything is OK.
40 of 65  -   Report This Post