CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

francis

11th May 2012, 16:42
paul 43
61 of 85  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

11th May 2012, 16:44
Oh my goodness, Les! Sincerest apologies, and I voted for it because it's masterful (it made my day). As I said, I took liberties too. For "Dissembler's treatment, for me at least, less humiliating than a fool's" ("dissembler's treatment for" indicating anagram of "me at least", of course), the latter part isn't a definition as such, but I think that a descriptive "identifier" can be fairly used (a stalemate is less humiliating than a fool's mate, though what isn't?), and though the "mate" is left out I think that's fair too.
Thanks for the exhaustive explanation, and the inspiring clue.
62 of 85  -   Report This Post

trevor

11th May 2012, 17:13
i just thought that 'nowhere to go' was a good approximation of a 'stalemate' in chess and made for a great surface reading . Well done Les, maybe not all the votes are in but i think you may have it.
63 of 85  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

11th May 2012, 17:41
Les40 @42
by the way apologies for my p1ss poor performance this week . Never try to compose a clue without your pencil to hand and never ever attempt it whilst cooking chicken curry :)
64 of 85  -   Report This Post

pastille

11th May 2012, 17:50
Baa baa baa...

les40 post 42

65 of 85  -   Report This Post

jws

11th May 2012, 19:28
By my reckoning we are waitng for votes from Salix, Torky and phillip
66 of 85  -   Report This Post

francis

11th May 2012, 19:36
Les40 Going out tonight so want to congratulate you on your emphatic victory - a foregone conclusion even before the last votes come in Certainly such a margin has never before been achieved in peer review
Well done !
67 of 85  -   Report This Post

jws

11th May 2012, 20:02
Time to count the votes.

Sorry about duplicating a word used before. The good news is it did not stop a great entry both in numbers and quality of clues. I hoped we would see the Spooner clues.

The clear winner is Les40 with -

Not getting in for the last matinee, being all dressed up and nowhere to go (9)
Post 42

Well done Les. Here is your prize, I trust you are over 18. I might ask you to explain it later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXzaVOk_Ydk

68 of 85  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

11th May 2012, 20:16
Congratulations, Les! Truly well-deserved. Have a virtual Sam Adams. You too, jws.

http://www.samueladams.com/enjoy-our-beer/beer-detail.aspx?id=6f4f9af0-0ebc-4637-be5f-bdeb3fc94724

Oh, and what a lovely clip; I've always been fond of Ralph Vaughan Williams.
69 of 85  -   Report This Post

rosalind

11th May 2012, 21:14
Very well done Les. Hope your mouth is recovering well.
Thank you for the vote and the suggestion, tonyw. I agree, and I think it's what I intended to type. No excuses, I certainly wasn't cooking chicken curry.
70 of 85  -   Report This Post