CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

25th April 2012, 20:46
Clapboards are the vernacular (or default?) house-siding in New England, but our climate is of course severe and they require continuous attention, so some evil person came up with the idea of making them out of colo(u)red plastic that never has to be painted and melts in fires like the Nazi's face in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Anyway, since this vinyl siding covereth a multitude of sins it's especially popular in neighborhoods that have seen better days, though it's also common in McMansion neighbo(u)rhoods that will hopefully see worse ones.
11 of 37  -   Report This Post

rosalind

25th April 2012, 23:21
Ah thank you, all is explained. Never heard of a house siding before.
My (house!) sidings are 70 year old pebbledash, very gloomy
12 of 37  -   Report This Post

syzygy

26th April 2012, 03:44
Aristo, have no idea what got you going on this tangent, unless it was a jibe at T, or his notorious namesake. Bad dream ? (-;

Love your turn of phrase, e.g.:
"melts ... like the Nazi's face in Raiders of the Lost Ark".
You should write a book.

Hope we'll see such wit in the JE.

Cheers.
13 of 37  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th April 2012, 12:58
Here you go, Rosalind- in case you get tired of that hopelessly old-fashioned pebbledash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_siding

Syzzie: Torquemada, being an Inquisition operative, has a professional interest in the psychology of coercion, and I thought he might find the linked study useful. He seems to have found it endearingly naive, however.

Oh! Could you find me a publisher?
14 of 37  -   Report This Post

pastille

26th April 2012, 13:44
just been reading an article on "emoticons"

I think this one should be Torkies as it is described as devilish...

>;-]
15 of 37  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th April 2012, 23:43
By the way, Torkie, it was in Fall River just last summer that a dead body was found in a crowded public swimming pool after it had been there for three days; the pool had been "inspected" twice during that time. Coincidentally...they're talking about it on the radio right now; they've decided to make the pool shallower! Hopefully this will make it easier to find the bodies.
16 of 37  -   Report This Post

torquemada

26th April 2012, 23:49
Ah! Presumably (and I wasn't aware of this) Fall River is the USA's centre for the care of the blind and the terminally stupid. How can you miss a body in a swimming pool? Well, apart from the obvious - jumping in to one side of it.
17 of 37  -   Report This Post

syzygy

26th April 2012, 23:49
Brilliant solution!

Is everyone going mad? Must be something in the water.
18 of 37  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th April 2012, 23:54
Really, they're talking about it right now. You guys should call in.
19 of 37  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th April 2012, 23:56
And yes, Syzzie, there was definitely something in the water.
20 of 37  -   Report This Post