CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

torquemada

25th April 2012, 14:24
I'm not sure that is all that useful. A burnt corpse is a burnt corpse, after all.
2 of 37  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th April 2012, 14:34
Nevertheless it must be nicer when the last face you see is a smiling one. What am I saying? Change that to less-creepily-smiling.
3 of 37  -   Report This Post

torquemada

25th April 2012, 14:36
Hehe. I must confess I hope the last face I see will be that of my wife the night before I don't wake up from a normal night's sleep.
4 of 37  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th April 2012, 14:42
You mean without the Lizzie Borden look.
5 of 37  -   Report This Post

torquemada

25th April 2012, 15:07
Or the Lizzie Borden axe.
6 of 37  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th April 2012, 17:09
The next time you're in Fall River...

http://www.lizzie-borden.com/index.php/about-the-house

I think "Where we treat everyone like family" is hilarious.
7 of 37  -   Report This Post

torquemada

25th April 2012, 17:33
I wonder how viable that is as a business. I've been interested in the case for many years. Nobody seems to believe Lizzie was innocent, except her sister. Speaking for myself, staying in a wooden building is fraught with dangers, of course.
8 of 37  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th April 2012, 18:07
I read some newspaper accounts of the trial many years ago, and what I found particularly striking was the us-and-them attitude of the Yankees- for example, referring to a Swedish maid as "a Portuguese", which in Fall River obviously meant a non-Yankee. (Note: Whereas a Yankee is an American to you guys, over here it's a Northerner to a Southerner, a New Englander to a Northerner, and a descendant of English settlers to a New Englander.)
Fall River has fallen on hard times, but I've always thought it was beautifully situated (you can tell that from looking at a map); it looks magnificent at night when you approach it from the west (from Providence), over the bridge. It still has the enormous granite mills, but my wife calls it the vinyl-siding capital of the world.
9 of 37  -   Report This Post

rosalind

25th April 2012, 20:29
Like the term "winyl-siding" but plese could you explain?

Like the Lizzie Borden doggerel, too
10 of 37  -   Report This Post