CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

devonian

13th April 2012, 11:01
Thanks Pipesmoker, a BBC2 history show - doh - the clue was so obvious !!
21 of 35  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

13th April 2012, 12:13
Just on for a quick moan, so anyone who only wants to talk about crosswords should look away now.

Over the years, I have built up quite a reputation with my skills in assembling flat pack furniture. If you would like your unit built upside down, back to front or inside out, then look no further. I have been sent to your aid.

Mrs P is less than impressed with my capabilities, although I find it difficult to understand why. She decided to order a chest of drawers which, the advert promised would not be flat pack. It would come ready assembled and would be placed in the room of your choice. All very well, except I had to help the carrier humf it upstairs, which I do not do very well. I was walking backward, at about half the speed of the other guy, so ended up sitting on the stair with the unit on my lap.

Eventually, the chest of drawers was put into place, and all I had to do was to fit the drawer handles, which I achieved without gouging a hole in the unit with my screwdriver. I went downstairs to await the return of Mrs P, and to collect my Brownie points. She was grateful and proud of me for being so efficient.

Much later, as we readied ourselves for bed, Mrs P looked at my workmanship for the first time. It was only then she realised that the new item of furniture was brown, and since the rest of our bedroom furniture is white, she said I should not have accepted delivery. Is this fair? Is brown not the new white? Should I have known that she did not order brown so that there might be contrasting colours in the room.

I have spent the last half hour, removing drawer handles, and parcelling the offending item in as much cling film and gaffer tape as I could find.

Tea and sympathy, please.

P
22 of 35  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

13th April 2012, 13:10
Bonjour pipesmoker
(sorry, just got home from a French market in town - good fun and lovely cheeses)
You are "priceless"! This sounds a familiar tale in our household. Sending you a big cup of English tea, a bun, and sympathy. x
J
23 of 35  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

13th April 2012, 13:13
Many thanks, jazzgirl. I am a deserving cause.

P
24 of 35  -   Report This Post

magworth

13th April 2012, 14:19
Pipesmoker. Julia Sawalha - not only in Ab Fab but the leading character in Lark Rise to Candleford. Maybe Mrs Pipesmoker watched ? M.
25 of 35  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

13th April 2012, 14:26
Thanks, Magworth. If I had to admit to Mrs P that I don't know something would be taken as a sign of weakness, and would be exploited mercilessly.

Thanks for the info, though.

P
26 of 35  -   Report This Post

magworth

13th April 2012, 15:55
Loved your diy story - shades of `Right Said Fred`. M.
PS Has anyone ever assembled a flat pack without a bag full of bits left over?
27 of 35  -   Report This Post

mondrian

13th April 2012, 16:28
Thanks Jazzgirl for solving my blank spaces. Dont know why Quick Solve does not have that word! You do sound like a good friend to your two friends. Am sure your affection for them must help a wee bit.

Well done Old gal in entering that Race for Life. Are you in training at the moment?

Mr & Mrs Pipesmoker. If I am ever on your island I will seek you out. Maybe I will recognise you if you are carrying a large cardboard box down to the ferry while smoking a pipe!! That was bad luck about the chest of drawers.

I am still left with two blanks for four letter words - one in the top right and one in the bottom right. Cant remember the clues. Bottom right is something about green card entry when going west and top right is something about a porker. Why are these little ones so tricky?
28 of 35  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

13th April 2012, 16:51
Hello Mondrian
4d the weakest pig in the litter. Think of a 5-letter synonym for "oink" and delete the G at the front.

22a Spots on the face for example. Look at the words "green card" and the answer is hidden in the clue when read "westwards"

J
29 of 35  -   Report This Post

mondrian

14th April 2012, 11:28
Jazzgirl. Thanks yet again. I had the wrong answer for 8A so no wonder I couldn`t get that piggy thing!! What a clever little clue that was `Installed as president` The penny dropped this morning. Thanks also for the spots thing which I hadn`t got. Now finished.

Sunny day here so far. See you next week.
30 of 35  -   Report This Post