CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

magworth

29th March 2012, 16:47
Caravaggio - many thanks for the Durham info, very interesting.
Mondrian. I hesitated for years about having my bath replaced by a walk-in shower. I had it done and it`s wonderful! You`ll never regret it. M.
35 of 53  -   Report This Post

bees

29th March 2012, 20:15
The compiler is obviously a Southerner.
Anyone else would know that the city in 13D is not northern, it's in the East Midlands. Wouldn't it be good to give Londoners a test on British geography, to see if they know anything outside the South-East of England?
36 of 53  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

29th March 2012, 20:25
hi Bees
I thought the same as you at first, but when you anagram "giant moth" there is an 'n' missing (shown in the clue as northern) which then makes a city.
The clue has to be read as:
"giant moth (fluttering i.e. anagram) past n) = a city.
Hope I am making sense :)

J
37 of 53  -   Report This Post

bees

29th March 2012, 20:30
Thanks Jazzgirl.
My apologies to the compiler and the SE in general. I'll go and hide now.
38 of 53  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

29th March 2012, 20:32
I bet quite a few people were thinking the same as we did. Come out from behind that sofa !
J
39 of 53  -   Report This Post

old gal

29th March 2012, 22:20
Hi terry, nice to he ar from you again. Thanks for the hint, got it now! Am using an iPad for this post. Very proud of myself! Am stuck now on 16a, like Mondrian and 1d. Had lovely day in Stratford meeting old friends. Used to smoke hash but now compared hearing problems & medications. How the mighty are fallen...
40 of 53  -   Report This Post

pastille

29th March 2012, 23:14
Oh old girl...

That post was lovely...

Thinking of you and take care...

p@ x
41 of 53  -   Report This Post

trevor

30th March 2012, 00:58
Bees, no apologies for Londoners in particular?

We have to live in shit areas because northerners take all the decent jobs and all the decent housing and then move back up north taking all the money with them.

we pay the highest prices for everything.(including sex, if we can get it)

we put up with 'soft southern bastard' jibes because we wear coats in winter.

i do realise that things could be worse - i could live up north for instance.

it's grim up north!!

...is Grimsby up north?
42 of 53  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

30th March 2012, 07:58
Hi old gal
You're a night owl and seems there was no one around to help you last night. So here goes: 16a is a unit of troops (and also a film title)
1d A diamond ring with only one stone.
(and a card game for one person)
Have a good day.
J
43 of 53  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

30th March 2012, 10:29
Hi, Mondrian. Good to see that your daughter went to GCU. A fine university, full of pretty girls and handsome lads. Not only that, I went there too.

We do suffer from a bit of educational snobbery at Pipesmoker Palace. Mrs P went to what I refer to as Gilmourhill Polytechnic. She is not amused.

Hope your day progresseth well.

P.
44 of 53  -   Report This Post