CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bees

28th March 2012, 21:06
Thank you. I hadn't thought of that.
25 of 53  -   Report This Post

old gal

28th March 2012, 23:03
Can I join the crowd of Durham worshippers! First glimpse was from train in the evening when all was dark but the lights of the cathedral - beautiful. Enjoyed many a ramble round Durham, also attended a Miners Gala which was great fun! But sad..... As regards the crossword am not doing too badly (for me!) this week. Cant remember the number but the pianist for the Stones clue has me stumped. Dont give me the answer but a further not-so-cryptic clue would help!
26 of 53  -   Report This Post

phillip

28th March 2012, 23:13
nothing to do with rolling stones old gal.
stones = jewels or sounds like it.
+ country in europe.

glad to hear you are on top of your health problems ( I'm terry really).
27 of 53  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

29th March 2012, 10:58
Good Morning, All.

Greetings from the west coast.

Not too much to tax us in the RT this week, which probably means there will be a humdinger in the next issue. We shall wait and see.

Nothing much to report from up here, except perhaps, that I was only five numbers short of winning the lottery last week. I seem to reach this close to immense wealth on a fairly regular basis.

Hope all are well.

Best wishes.

P
28 of 53  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

29th March 2012, 11:22
Good morning all
That's a good hint from 'terry' for old gal.
I feel a bit sad that I 've not visited or even seen Durham from a train window . I intend to rectify that.
Both my visits to Yorkshire ended at the Dales, but when I go again in August, will try and find some time to go further north.
Have a good day all. Sun still shining here.
J
29 of 53  -   Report This Post

mondrian

29th March 2012, 14:13
Caravaggio - thanks for the link about The Chancellors of Durham Uni. I was interested to read about Dame Margot Fonteyn. I hadn`t known about her mother being Brazilian and was about to say that it must have been Panama that she retired to because of her husband. The recent portrait of Dame Margot (as well as Enid Blyton and someone else but forgotten who) on TV did not give us a very happy portrait of her life with her husband. Glad to hear for her sake that she was close to his children from a previous marriage so maybe things were better for her than shown. I remember seeing photos of the benefit concert organised for her when she had fallen on hard times and felt sad that she should have had to have such a thing.

Back to crosswords - stuck on
16A `Film unit` and so far I have -L-T-O-
11A TV series giving one heebie jeebies
20A Mails`s sorted in brown object with luck

Hints appreciated. By the way I do not send in crosswords now (so no competition from me) and will be even less inclined to do so in May when the postage will 50p (10 shillings on old money!!) I`m giving my age away!!

What a lovely venue Durham must have been for graduations. My son`s was in The Barony Hall (former church) and now part of Strathclyde University and my daughter`s at the Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow for Glasgow Caledonian University. And I am glad to say they have both managed to get on their feet in their careers.
30 of 53  -   Report This Post

mondrian

29th March 2012, 14:21
16 and 20 Across now solved.
31 of 53  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

29th March 2012, 14:37
hello Mondrian
11a apart from being the name of a TV series, is an expression used when you are "lacking in confidence or courage about a forthcoming action"
It is 32c degrees in the sun here.
Hope the workmen are doing well.
Best wishes
J
32 of 53  -   Report This Post

mondrian

29th March 2012, 14:43
Thanks Jazzgirl. I had sort of worked out the name of that TV show but I have never seen it so it didn`t mean anything to me.

What a heatwave you`ve got. It is a bit cooler here today. Thanks you, the bathroom installation is going well, I hope. I have escaped to the Library yet again!
33 of 53  -   Report This Post

mondrian

29th March 2012, 14:46
Pipesmoker. You and me both are always 5 numbers short on the lottery! I had to laugh at your way of putting it! Better luck to you on Saturday.
34 of 53  -   Report This Post