CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

francis

26th February 2012, 17:24
Happy birthday Les40.
Sorry (for you) about Liverpool equalizer.
Roll on Tuesday for your dentist's appointment.
21 of 63  -   Report This Post

les40

26th February 2012, 17:27
Cheers FRANCIS, I'm not too bothered really about the Liverpool score, but it would be good if Cardiff beat them, a good few of my friends are Liverpool fans so it would be great for the banter.
Anyway, Man Utd have just won, so I'm over the moon
22 of 63  -   Report This Post

francis

26th February 2012, 17:31
Me too. But how long can they reply on the old brigade ?
23 of 63  -   Report This Post

les40

26th February 2012, 17:34
FRANCIS.
Fergie will have many plans and preparations up his sleeve.
I stick with the old adage "If it aint broke, don't fix it"
Just need City to slip up now, but sadly can't see it
24 of 63  -   Report This Post

wendy

26th February 2012, 18:00
Seeing as this has turned into a bit of a "persiflage fred", I'll pose the following question if I may:

Our Grandson is 6 (his teacher says he has a reading level of an 8 - 9 yr old). His spelling is brilliant and as for the rest of it, he's a normal 6 year old.

From the age of 3, he was taught at school that one pronounces the letter "H" as "HAITCH" which piffs me off enormously. He's just passed the entrance exam (yes, disgusting isn't it) to go to one of the best schools hereabouts. The reason is that they offer after-school care which enables his Mum to keep a full-time job. Other schools here don't offer that facility.

Just nipping off for a BP tablet!

So my question to you all in this Persiflage fred is:

1. Do we tell him that the letter "H" is pronounced "Aitch"... and try to explain that they taught him to pronounce it purely so that he learned his alphabet and to help him with his reading and spelling?

2. Do we get him to look it up in the Dictionary and see that the correct pronunciation is "aitch"

2. Does it matter anyway...?

What say all of you?

You say "either" and I say "either"
You say "neither" I say "neither"
"Either" "either", "neither" "neither"
Let's call the whole thing off

25 of 63  -   Report This Post

rosalind

26th February 2012, 18:12
Thank you for the offer of a cream bun Les. I will surely take you up on it if your way ever.
Wendy, I think it does matter. He sounds quite bright enough to understand that people have different ways of doing things.
Which do his parents say? If "Aitch" then I'm surprised he doesn't as well. It may be best if he learns to be Edward in town and Jack in the country!
R
26 of 63  -   Report This Post

trevor

26th February 2012, 18:13
that's 3 questions.
question 1.
question 2.
and another question 2.

hows his maths?

seriously tho, i don't think it matters.
27 of 63  -   Report This Post

les40

26th February 2012, 18:21
Hi Wendy,
I think it must be a learning thing that is as you say, quite incorrect and grammatically wrong, it is a simple misconception that Aitch has to be pronounced and aspirated with a 'H'
However, many letters are not pronounced with the initial letter of what they are. F -eff, Q -kew,cue, X -ex, L -el, M -em, N -en, R -are, S -es and W - double you. To which my friend has already got his son saying Wubbleyou so he remembers the 'W'
Do you think I should castigate his actions because it's kinda cute when he says it?

Power to the Pronunciation Squad.

Oh crap, Scousers have just scored!
28 of 63  -   Report This Post

trevor

26th February 2012, 18:28
is there a wrong or right?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11642588

as someone just said, he seems bright enough to understand.
29 of 63  -   Report This Post

les40

26th February 2012, 18:44
That's interesting trevor,
Just read your link and I've been talking to myself to check and discovered that I pronounce "says" both ways depending how fast I speak, if I am speaking slow, I pronounce it like "days" or "maize" but if I speak quicker it turns more like "fez"
Please can someone else have a try so I don't sound like a loony who talks to himself!
30 of 63  -   Report This Post