CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wendy

25th February 2012, 16:07
Les,

Have you tried putting a little clove oil on your tooth? Used to work wonders for me when I had toothache.

It's one of the most dreadful pains you can get - I sympathise (and Aristo would no doubt sympathiZe) with you.

All pharmacies will sell clove oil.

Good luck,

Wendy x
1 of 63  -   Report This Post

les40

25th February 2012, 16:55
Cheers Wendy,
clove oil has been suggested by a few but doesn't work for more than about 30 seconds on me. I have been suffering with bouts of toothache for quite some time now, I was assaulted about 6 years ago and got 8 of my teeth kicked out to which I now wear a denture plate and they have never quite settled down, my toothache at the moment is in 4 teeth at once but i have my appointment this coming Tuesday morning. I think I'm in for a session of extraction because I am now prone to infection in my gums with the spaces left from my unfortunate melee.
My bottom row are ok, it just means I may have to end up with a top set denture. To tell you the truth, I think it will be for the best - no more toothache, and I don't want to be taking these strong painkillers for too long, they're doing their job but don't want to rely on them in the future.
2 of 63  -   Report This Post

wendy

25th February 2012, 17:04
Sorry to hear of that Les - it's not only painful for you, but painful to your pocket too I imagine!

Hope it gets sorted soon.

Meanwhile, perhaps Paul will keep you occupied:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crosswords/prize/25568/print

p.s. It's always fun finding out how many times he can use words like "loo", "bottom" "bras" "backside" and another I saw once which is virtually unmentionable! (I'm a good girl y'know...)

Hope you feel better soon.
3 of 63  -   Report This Post

les40

25th February 2012, 17:18
Thanks Wendy,

I will have a go at it this week, I've just taken my painkillers so I'm just gonna sit down and start the Saturday Times, i've about 2 hours before my whole head starts pulsating again.
Anyway, I've decided that losing your teeth is all part of growing old gracefully, and as I'm turning 42 tomorrow and have no signs of hair loss (a few wisps of grey showing through though) i think the teeth loss thing ain't really that bad.
Always look on the bright side.

PS: Do you think I should change my forum name to Les42, I might just go crazy and change it to Les38 yet... ha ha
4 of 63  -   Report This Post

rosalind

25th February 2012, 17:35
Les, that's horrible. When I broke lots of facial bones in November and had considerable numbness from a damaged nerve, I Googled to see if anyone knew how long it took/takes to get the proper feeling back. I was horrified how many people had the same injury (blow out fracture of the eye orbit)from an assault. And now you might be losing the rest of your top teeth! I hope the person who injured you was found and is in prison
xx R
5 of 63  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

25th February 2012, 17:49
Sorry to hear of your pains, Les. If it's any help, look forward to becoming a (relatively) toothless wonder: at 68 I suffer much less since several were removed! It's expensive here, too, despite otherwise excellent French health system: was once rated in an objective analysis the best in the world! My wife is going through hell at the moment getting everything repaired that was b*gg*r*d up by a woman in Hamburg. And if you ask me, Syzygy's latest "Harpers" link is more likely to distract you until your appointment (see appropriate thread I've just brought to the top).And if all else fails try some whisky. I once took 23 aspirins in London & lived to tell the tale (not recommended). All things must pass, even terrible toothache!
6 of 63  -   Report This Post

trevor

25th February 2012, 18:00
i used to put whole cloves in my gob (would give about an hours pain relief) and also soak some cloves in whisky for a day or so - not sure if that worked or not but it was well worth a try.
7 of 63  -   Report This Post

julie, aberdeen

25th February 2012, 19:27
Hi Les,
Sorry to hear about your toothache.
All dental practices will have someone "on call" over the weekend. There should be a recorded message on your dentist's tel no. giving you the emergency no. Don't wait till Tuesday, phone first thing Monday and they HAVE to squeeze you in if you have toothache. There's always a bit of slack in their appointments system to allow for this. In the meantime you might want to get some "Corsodyl" mouthwash tomorrow(usually behind the counter in the chemists) which will help with any gum infection. Most of the other mouthwashes are purely cosmetic. Try to have a Happy Birthday tomorrow.
Cheers
Julie
8 of 63  -   Report This Post

rosalind

25th February 2012, 19:44
Not sure when tomorrow will be our time, but anyway Happy Birthday for tomorrow
9 of 63  -   Report This Post

les40

25th February 2012, 23:01
Wow, thanks guys,
I thought trevor was gonna turn his post into a gag when he mentioned full cloves in his mouth, thought he was going to say he stank of garlic for a week, cheers for all the advice though, I'll keep you posted on the progress. I was meant to go away to the Isle of Wight on Monday til Friday but the appointment is more important. I haven't rang emergency because i really need to see my own dentist and he's only back on Tuesday. The 30 mil Co-codamol are doing the job for now. Rosalind, are you another that doesn't grace our green pastures, I thought you lived in Scotland for some reason or is it you that lives in France near GK ? I forget.
10 of 63  -   Report This Post