CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

25th February 2012, 21:23
Nice puzzle Syzygy, enjoyed it's economical style, surprisingly 31A doesn't have a Chambers entry.
31 of 49  -   Report This Post

les40

25th February 2012, 22:53
Greedy Kite,
I had the same trouble with the Geezers clue

ixion,
Re: 31 Across. Lionheart posted a crossword on here a couple of weeks ago and used the same word in his grid, I think I eventually found it on a google search. Lionheart uses the same crossword software as me and it comes up in the word dictionary on that, however, the said software was constructed by an American, so maybe it's recognised more in the US and isn't recognised in British dictionaries yet.

32 of 49  -   Report This Post

ixion

25th February 2012, 23:10
I found it in several "onelook" dictionaries Les40, seems like the sort of archaic word Chambers would normally include.

Thought I'd found an obscure americanism at 7e, was slightly disappointed when (k)indling didn't exist.
33 of 49  -   Report This Post

les40

25th February 2012, 23:16
7e had me snookered for a while, I completely forgot that a saw was a proverb or saying.
34 of 49  -   Report This Post

les40

25th February 2012, 23:20
I agree that you would expect the word to appear in Chambers, maybe we should apply to have it included in the next update, that might be a bit geeky though
35 of 49  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th February 2012, 00:34
The only one I have a question about is 30a: Greenland? One finds fresh air there (5) Answer is obvious, but Im missing the Greenland thing. Prepared for humiliation. I loved 16a.
36 of 49  -   Report This Post

les40

26th February 2012, 01:08
Don't know if I'm right aristo, but I took this as meaning an area of no development as here in UK we have Green belt areas around cities that are meant to have no buildings or industry resulting in an area of zero emissions, so it is a green zone and Zone can, I suppose mean land, so the area around the city is the green zone or maybe the Green land (two words) and it does have a question mark beside it in the clue, this I took as a way of looking at it in not the usual fashion. Now I've wrote all that, maybe it's a bit tenuous, wondering what the other guys have to say about it.
37 of 49  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th February 2012, 01:47
Thanks, Les. I was wondering about a generic term rather than the big cold place, or if it involved either a code or nickname for it.
38 of 49  -   Report This Post

ixion

26th February 2012, 02:37
Could the "greenland" be Oz, australia?
39 of 49  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th February 2012, 03:06
I did wonder, ixion, but why?
40 of 49  -   Report This Post