CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jojo

19th January 2012, 19:19
i must be having a senior moment, i've just spent the last hour looking at all the scottish rivers list on wikipedia & i still can't find a river to do with the word for
grandmother & 7 letters, no wonder i'm struggling with this quiz, jojo
31 of 44  -   Report This Post

lady bee

19th January 2012, 19:20
If you're talking about No.55, it's only 5 letters.
32 of 44  -   Report This Post

chrise

19th January 2012, 19:36
55 If you know the folk song, it was "wondrous deep".
33 of 44  -   Report This Post

jojo

19th January 2012, 19:56
no it's no1, she is a foundling not yet discovered,(7) is one i'm struggling with, jojo
34 of 44  -   Report This Post

calliewag

19th January 2012, 22:15
re #1, I did most of the rest and then realised that I hadn't got anywhere got a very obvious flower for Scotland that is also a girl's name ('she'). Stared at the clue for days and then found a way to make it fit.
Sorry, can't help with the rest as I've sent in my answers (with gaps)and can't remember what they were!
35 of 44  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

20th January 2012, 13:01
Hello,PP! Since I can't find the original "Gazza" clue complete any longer (or Aristo's first suggestion) and think I may have discovered s'thing new (it is still unsolved/unexplained, isn't it?), please give it to us again --- the one with "army plans & neat translations"!
36 of 44  -   Report This Post

andyc

20th January 2012, 13:17
Here it is GK:

Make every second count Gazza,unlock army plan,neat translation required (7,8).

It was posted on 12th january 2012.

Good luck. My effort of primula auricula appears to not have submitted well to scrutiny.

Andy
37 of 44  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

20th January 2012, 15:35
For what it's worth, I've been following up several different strands,which have not yet produced the total result,but --- who
knows? --- two minds are better than one etc.
1."evening" as first word for flower (e.g. primrose) can be seen as even (letters=every second one) in G(azza or Gascoigne)
2."Prim" in primrose = neat
3."Officina" (for many flowers,=used pharmaceutically):cina is an anagram of acin,the even letters of Gascoigne
4.Sundrops ends in Ops = army plan
5.Your Primula Auricula contains several letters of "calculate" = plan
I realize this may all turn out to be useless,but thought I would broadcast some new ideas at least if nobody has been able to find the answer yet.
Am I right in supposing the thing has to be in by the end of the month?
38 of 44  -   Report This Post

andyc

20th January 2012, 15:50
Aristo was onto evening primrose some time ago. See below. I am unaware as to when the competition closes. You make some very interesting observations, but the clue seems to have so many holes in it that it is well nigh impossible to tie it down. I can't wait to the solution and the logic behind it.

http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/208644/offset/10
39 of 44  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

20th January 2012, 15:59
...and just to add to the confusion:
6.RE in -ROSE could be Royal Engineers =army
and 7. in "Sundrops" you can also find "undo" = unlock!
I think I'll run away now...
40 of 44  -   Report This Post