CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

13th January 2012, 20:27
I've enjoyed watching this from the sidelines. There was an excellent sketch starring Ronnie Barker and Noel Dyson (as the Rev. Spooner and his wife) It's on youtube if you care to watch it.
J
51 of 68  -   Report This Post

blue moon

13th January 2012, 23:25
Well done jws, wasnt around to vote but a worthy winner
52 of 68  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

14th January 2012, 01:03
Sorry that I was unable to vote due to being out all day and most of the evening, but jws would have been my choice too. You can't beat a Spoonerism! Thanks to those who voted for me.
53 of 68  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

14th January 2012, 07:55
A propos Spooner(-isms), for those who don't know already, there's an amazingly long list of really amusing ones I once googled:unfortunately can't give a direct link immediately, but I think you'll find it easily!Sorry to be so vague:exhausted from Guardian this morning, and now back to bed...
54 of 68  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

14th January 2012, 08:02
...of course I've now found it, tho' it's not quite as long as I remembered (probably surfed around a lot that day on the subject). For what it's worth, it's at
http://www.fun-with-words.com/spoon-history.html
55 of 68  -   Report This Post

paul

14th January 2012, 09:56
Nice one JWS!
56 of 68  -   Report This Post

les40

15th January 2012, 21:55
Great clue jws, well done
57 of 68  -   Report This Post

les40

15th January 2012, 22:27
That was funny,
somebody has emailed me lambasting my attempt at this week's PEER REVEIW for the word "Threadbare" set by Torquemada.
I sense from the remarks made, that this person completely missed the hidden wordplay neatly disguised in what I made to look like a simple statement. I invite that person to take another look and read it differently.
58 of 68  -   Report This Post

berkspotter

15th January 2012, 22:49
les40, do you mean "show where these posts are used".
isn't the only reasonable moan that this clue = barethread, because there is no indication to turn show/bare and thread(where these posts are) around.
but presumably if someone sees fit to email you personally about it they must be a couple of vouchers short of a pop up toaster.
59 of 68  -   Report This Post

les40

16th January 2012, 00:13
Cheers berkspotter,
You need to tweak the wordplay slightly.
You are correct that show = bare
where these posts are = they are "on the thread" or "on thread"
With this I invite you to deduce that the use of "on" would mean that I would not need an indicator to qualify which end the word joins to because it simply means to connect to,
used = threadbare.
I feel that this was quite fair and reasonable.
I agree with you on the toaster vouchers.
Les40
60 of 68  -   Report This Post