CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

trevor

25th August 2011, 15:35
Nonsense aristophanes! you won fair and square and i see nothing wrong in the judge having carte blanch.
why overcomplicate a bit of fun.
good luck with Irene(was it Irene?).
batten down the hatches.
look forward to next week - should we expect a different time due to you being a sceptic tank and over the pond? ;-)
71 of 106  -   Report This Post

peterm

25th August 2011, 15:37
I echo what ixion has said.

Judging a clue is totally subjective. You can't please everyone.
72 of 106  -   Report This Post

theambler

25th August 2011, 16:03
Hi all espec peterm and arisophanes.
As one who is unaccustomed to public speaking
and who recently got my knickers twisted about clueing (whether two letter words can formally follow the rules of Euclidean cryptollogy dont know)
However as I was saying--- Commisses all round and lets have fun, bolicing fun and other sorts Ash permitting ( so long as some grotty troll doesnt put offensive words where nice people like Theas partner sees them) . Yes FUN as the actress said switching on the power drill.
BUT BUT is it true that winners have come from predoniately early posts?
Lots and lots of lovely love. THEA
73 of 106  -   Report This Post

rambler

25th August 2011, 16:29
The rules state that a cryptic clue is required. www.solving-cryptics.com. defines the rules as they are generally accepted
74 of 106  -   Report This Post

trevor

25th August 2011, 16:47
rambler - let it go!
"the judges decision is final" and the clue is cryptic.
the use of the word Brit was explained for you - he didn't have to do that.

ps. i too noticed that a lot of winning entries come from the 1st page, i guess that the best ideas are snapped up quickly and others try not to repeat them.

75 of 106  -   Report This Post

pastille

25th August 2011, 17:01
I agree with Trevor...

The Judges decision is final.

My "winning week" was slightly tainted, when my choice of word was criticised.

Please don't do the same to Peterm and Mr A.

Still can't spell Aristophanes!

p@
76 of 106  -   Report This Post

rambler

25th August 2011, 17:02
I'm sorry if I've annoyed you, trevor; we'll just have to agree to differ and I'll shut up now
77 of 106  -   Report This Post

trevor

25th August 2011, 17:10
rambler,
i didn't mean to come across quite as snappy as i did, i shall also shut up. :-)
78 of 106  -   Report This Post

tonyw

25th August 2011, 18:08
This thread has become,"not fun any-more"
79 of 106  -   Report This Post

siamcat

25th August 2011, 18:34
Well done to aristophanes and peterm, very amusing clue and good choice of word, in my humble opinion.

Thank goodness we don't have to pass scrutiny from a crossword editor, but can have a go at clue-setting for fun, as was intended, I think, when CLUELESS was first suggested.

If you don't post for any reason next week, aristophanes, I vote we clue HURRICANE instead.

Take care
S
xx

80 of 106  -   Report This Post