CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

25th August 2011, 23:31
Hi Thea. At the top of your screen you have the address bar, in this case http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/
All you do is delte anything tha comes after /forum/, and type offset, folloed by the number of the last thread, less one - which is as follows http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/offset/1167 that will get you to the last post.
1168 of 1953  -   Report This Post

bernie

25th August 2011, 23:34
Sally, if Thea can't get to the end of this thread, he wont see your reply. Hence my other thread.
1169 of 1953  -   Report This Post

25th August 2011, 23:37
Sorry Thea, got that slightly wrong. Start again! On the address bar you will have something like this http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/15502/poser-of-the-day. Delete the bit that says poser-of-the-day and then type in offset/1167 or whatever the number is of the post you want to look at, minus 1. Click on the refresh button on the right of the address bar and you should get to the last post on the thread.
1170 of 1953  -   Report This Post

25th August 2011, 23:38
Very true Bernie - never thought of that! :0)
1171 of 1953  -   Report This Post

25th August 2011, 23:40
Very tired, and not thinking straight - these painkillers are damn good! off to bed now!
1172 of 1953  -   Report This Post

celadon

26th August 2011, 11:53
Let hope that this stays in the UK!

SCIENTISTS have built the smallest petrol engine, tiny enough to power a WATCH. The mini-motor, which runs for two years on a single squirt of lighter fuel, is set to revolutionize world technology. It produces 700 times more energy than a conventional battery despite being less than a centimeter long not even half an inch. It could be used to operate laptops and mobile phones for months doing away with the need for recharging. Experts believe it could be phasing out batteries in such items within just six years.

The engine, minute enough to be balanced on a fingertip, has been produced by engineers at the University of Birmingham . Dr Kyle Jiang, lead investigator from the Department of Mechanical Engineering, said: "We are looking at an industrial revolution happening in peoples' pockets. "The breakthrough is an enormous step forward. "Devices which need re-charging or new batteries are a problem but in six years will be a thing of the past."

Other applications for the engine could include medical and military uses, such as running heart pacemakers or mini reconnaissance robots. At present, charging an ordinary battery to deliver one unit of energy involves putting 2,000 units into it. The little engine, because energy is produced locally, is far more effective.

One of the main problems faced by engineers who have tried to produce micro motors in the past has been the levels of heat produced. The engines got so hot they burned themselves out and could not be re-used. The Birmingham team overcame this by using heat-resistant materials such as ceramic and silicon carbide. Professor Graham Davies, head of the university's engineering school, said: "We've brought together all the engineering disciplines, materials, chemical engineering, civil engineering, and mechanical engineering. "What better place to have the second industrial revolution in nano-technology than where the first took place, in the heart of the West Midlands.
1173 of 1953  -   Report This Post

trevor

26th August 2011, 12:15
that article(mini petrol engine)was from the year 2003.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article80219.ece
1174 of 1953  -   Report This Post

celadon

1st September 2011, 07:16
Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school, but it can be read in prison?
1175 of 1953  -   Report This Post

xerxes

1st September 2011, 18:27
More breaking news...Colonel Gadaffi has announced that he will hand himself over to NATO troops, but only on one condition - that he is tried at Edinburgh Sheriff court...
1176 of 1953  -   Report This Post

pastille

1st September 2011, 18:36
Was sent these "Tommy Cooperisms"

Thought I would share them...

A mate of mine recently admitted to being addicted to brake fluid.
When I challenged him on it he reckoned he could stop any time....

I went to the cemetery yesterday to lay some flowers on a grave. As I
was standing there I noticed 4 grave diggers walking about with a
coffin, 3 hours later and they're still walking about with it. I
thought to myself, they've lost the plot!!

I was at a cashpoint yesterday when a little old lady asked if I could
check her balance, so I pushed her over.

A new Middle East crisis erupted last night as Dubai Television was
refused permission to broadcast 'The Flintstones'. A spokesman for the
channel said. “A claim was made that people in Dubai would not
understand the humour, but we know for a fact that people in Abu Dhabi
Do.

My daughter asked me for a pet spider for her birthday, so I went to
our local pet shop and they were £70!!! B******s to this, I thought, I
can get one cheaper off the web.

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Went around to a friends house today. His wife was sat there with
their newborn baby. She asked if I'd like to wind it. I thought that
was a bit harsh so I gave it a dead leg instead.

I start a new job in Seoul next week. I thought it was a good Korea
move.

1177 of 1953  -   Report This Post