CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bullfrog

25th February 2011, 01:12
@turast - presumably The Observer Everyman is considerably easier when you do it the second time! :)
41 of 50  -   Report This Post

turast

25th February 2011, 04:30
Sorry folks. Put Everyman twice. Make that 12/13 per week. This is the first time I've actually counted. As far as I'm concerned, Everyman is the best crossword for those who are just starting on cryptics. The Independent has been, for me, by far the most statistically likely for winning prizes. By the way if anyone is wondering what I do with all the dictionaries, I donate them to the autistic & SEN facility at our local comp, where my wife works. At one point, I couldn't seem to stop winning them, so I "independently" negotiated with a kind person at OUP to swap them for dictionaries of equal value. Thus I got OD of Art, OD of Music, OD of Wine (they sent 2 of these by mistake, so I sold one half price to a mate). However somebody must have twigged, because the next time I tried to arrange a swap, I was given a sharp reproof. The following week some new wording appeared in the Indy blurb to the effect that the OEDs are the only prizes on offer.

I hope that when fellow sufferers read about my obsessive xword entering, and how long it's been going on for, that it will help them to understand my intolerance of the number of people on this site who seem quite happy to let others solve for them. Every now and then, you just have to concede one to the setter(s).
42 of 50  -   Report This Post

rick

22nd May 2011, 17:47
I'd be interested to know exactly how many times "Turast" has won the Indie 'Beelzebub' - s/he is correct in saying this is the easiest (of the foremost Sunday 'national' cryptics)to win [simply because there are 3 winners weekly - difficulty level is roughly equal to 'Times' and 'Tele' open grids]. Many thanks.
43 of 50  -   Report This Post

barrycat

22nd May 2011, 17:51
Daily Record £500
Daily Record £100
Sunday Mail £25
Local weekly appx 12times
A times watch from the Bunty when I was 10!
44 of 50  -   Report This Post

megan

22nd May 2011, 17:59
Daily Mail prize 3 times.
my dream is to win the Mail on Sunday £1500.
This does seem to have been easier lately but I can never understand why people don't use google because all the answers are on there it just takes a little bit of effort sometimes.
45 of 50  -   Report This Post

slaney

22nd May 2011, 18:16
The current Spectator.

Easiest crossword to win is the Inquisitor in the Saturday Independent. This is because of the low circulation of the Indy and the difficulty of hardest bar-grid crossword, except for the Listener.
The number of correct entries is sometimes single figures.
46 of 50  -   Report This Post

ian

22nd May 2011, 18:48
I have won the Daily Record £500 on a Saturday and also the Big One Xword on a Tuesday, when it was worth £500!
Have been entering both for years, so the message is keep trying
47 of 50  -   Report This Post

turast

23rd May 2011, 04:22
Yawn! Yet another dictionary from the Saturday Independent this week.
48 of 50  -   Report This Post

slaney

23rd May 2011, 07:08
How odd! I am slaney on the Answerbank site, and did win last week's Spectator, but didn't post the above.
Just testing if this will come through as slaney as well.
49 of 50  -   Report This Post

slaney

23rd May 2011, 07:10
And it did - so no unique user names on this site then. Very confusing.
50 of 50  -   Report This Post