CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sudokulover

3rd February 2011, 09:59
Good morning all. We certainly have a challenge today! Wish I had a bigger grid!
So far so good - Grid C is relatively easy.What shall I try next?
1 of 60  -   Report This Post

problem chimp

3rd February 2011, 10:16
What I do with puzzles like this is magnify the section of the page I want, use the PrtScrn button, then import into Paint Shop Pro, again discard anything but the grid. Then I can print out an A4 copy of the grid. A bit long winded I know .... but that is a very small grid.

Having said that I may also treat myself to the actual magazine!
2 of 60  -   Report This Post

problem chimp

3rd February 2011, 10:32
I'm new to this, so this may not work!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20262367/Spectator%202000.docx
3 of 60  -   Report This Post

problem chimp

3rd February 2011, 10:39
Umm... That grid is smaller than the Paint Shop Pro version. You may want to resize the Word version before printing.
4 of 60  -   Report This Post

peterm

3rd February 2011, 14:10
If you're using Adobe Reader to view this, you can got to Tools->Select & Zoom->Snapshot Tool to highlight the grid and print it onto A4.
5 of 60  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

3rd February 2011, 15:49
I think some of the letter counts may be wrong in grid D - 9s instead of 6s?
6 of 60  -   Report This Post

ajt

3rd February 2011, 16:23
Teennieleek, the preamble to grid D says that five answers are too long.
7 of 60  -   Report This Post

ixion

3rd February 2011, 18:08
In my usual pedantic way I'd be grateful if someone could clarify a couple of points re grid A before I start on B,D and E!

1.The preamble(see below)implied to me that seven clues would each yield one letter of the compilers name - instead I have five clues giving a letter each and two clues which together give the entire name - is this what others have found or have I gone astray?

2.I have assumed a numeral is required for the unclued themed entry - have others concluded likewise?

Thanks

ixion

Grid A
In seven clues, cryptic indications omit reference to
parts of answers; these parts form the setter’s name. This
name’s letters can be mixed with those of three unclued
entries to form 2A 8 14, a four-word phrase. The phrase
indicates each of six entries, five of which are clued by
cryptic indication only. The remaining one, unclued, must
be deduced; it will be seen, when read in the normal fashion,
to be relevant to the entire puzzle.

8 of 60  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

3rd February 2011, 19:03
hello ixion - Not sure which clues yield the required letters - I found a couple then realised who "he was" to fit the letters of the required phrase, which I assume you have , since you have a numeral in the top left corner.
I have now completed grids C and A and am "nearly there" with B and D. Think I'll save E fro tomorrow!
Have a look on Answerbank at the funny comments!
9 of 60  -   Report This Post

ixion

3rd February 2011, 19:59
Thanks for confirming my 2nd query S-lover - may have to put it down until tomorrow and pace my squinting eyes!
10 of 60  -   Report This Post