CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

27th January 2011, 22:30
The Pyrenean town is known as a place of pilgramage - remove the d(dead) for the solution.
31 of 43  -   Report This Post

ixion

27th January 2011, 22:32
I see you have finished it Marky - well done!
32 of 43  -   Report This Post

bathtub

28th January 2011, 04:47
Yes, well done everyone, but I don't think I've read such a pompous load of old nonsense in my life. You can post suggestions, but not answers? Who says? People who get help online shouldn't submit their entries? Who made you milk monitor?

People up and down the land do crosswords individually or (God forbid) collaboratively... in the pub (used to do it myself, very enjoyable), over the phone, or as couples (there are several who are regular entrants and prizewinners, inc in the Speccie and other barred/cryptic puzzles).

Obviously, however, they simply give each other veiled hints rather than answers. Or possibly send one another telegrams. After the closing date, of course. And without referring to a dictionary or searching online.

We are not playing for the Crown Jewels here. And any suggestion that the RT puzzle (let alone the Speccie) is on a par with the Listener (the one puzzle we do generally regard as off-limits for answers, here and on AB) is frankly ludicrous.

I've posted on here and on AB from time to time. I've occasionally used both sites to verify or debate answers (the latter would be difficult if there's a prohibition on even giving one) or to help other solvers (with a hint or an answer, depending on what they've asked for).

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what this Goody Two-Shoes stuff is all about. You're in danger of disappearing up your own 10d.
33 of 43  -   Report This Post

trevor

28th January 2011, 05:02
arsehole
34 of 43  -   Report This Post

alf wit

28th January 2011, 08:28
Bathtub did you enjoy writing your school essay you prick?
35 of 43  -   Report This Post

hallgreen2

28th January 2011, 13:21
Dear Bathtub-I think you're right. There is a sort of preachy aloofness about some of the comments.I asked outright for an answer one week and I was almost told off!It's a good site,but I could do without this smugness-it's bad enough having Rantzen's ugly boat race looming up at you all the time, without that...
36 of 43  -   Report This Post

bathtub

30th January 2011, 03:08
Thank you, hallgreen2.

Trevor, I'm glad you're well on the way to the solution to 10d. And Alf Wit (are you sure that's not an exaggeration?), I haven't had to write a school essay for 38 years.

I'll now get me coat. I really can't be bothered if this is the level of debate on here.
37 of 43  -   Report This Post

sannhetjeger

30th January 2011, 04:45
BATHTUB
Sorry, Bathtub. There are a couple of "digital vigilantes", who patrol this site on the lookout for comments they regard as elitist, or simply not conforming to their own narrow view of what the forum should be about. Sneering and profanities epitomise the level at which they "debate".
38 of 43  -   Report This Post

trevor

30th January 2011, 06:01
Sannhetjeger
i like to think most people 'patrol' this forum to give answers or help,both of which i like to think i have given plenty.
I've not come across your name before,have you offered any help or is this one sneering remark in support of an elitist fool your 1st post?
Maybe you are a digital sniper under an assumed name?(to be melodramatic).
btw, any self-respecting "digital vigilante" would be after sex-offenders,cyber fraudsters,spammers,phishers and the like. Bathtub sounds almost polite when he derides people as Milk Moniters?
39 of 43  -   Report This Post

trevor

30th January 2011, 06:32
Bathtub.
you dip into this thread,
insult a whole raft of people,
contradict yourself,while handing out some insults with a shedload of arrogance'
Quote "any suggestion that the RT puzzle (let alone the Speccie) is on a par with the Listener (the one puzzle we do generally regard as off-limits for answers, here and on AB) is frankly ludicrous"
who says it's off-limits? who gave you a badge.

Then you sign off with an insult and an obvious (although veiled - why bother?)profanity which i kindly spelled out for you.

Hardly displays great debating skills(certainly not worth a mass-debate - sorry couldn't resist)

...and then you disappear in your coat of righteous indignation.i reckon you owe some apologies fellah!

40 of 43  -   Report This Post