CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wee jock

20th January 2011, 16:44
I was prompted, TOMCAT,by your post above to look again at some of my answers and there are one or two niggly points I'd like to bring up. Am I nit picking or is this cumpiler a bit sloppy in his/her work or am I mssing something?

13d.The grammatical disagreement refered to by CARAVAGGIO at posts 9&12.

16a.Double French.CARAVAGGIO at post9.

14d.Why 'aircraft,s'? Other things do this.

19d.Elephants only? is'nt a 'say' called for here?

NUFF SAID
WJ
21 of 64  -   Report This Post

tomcat

20th January 2011, 19:12
Hello WJ. I too noticed the double French usage in 16a. In fact, thinking it referred only to the article, I used that well-known search engine to look for a composer whose name would fit the clue. I came up with Joseph Twist, a composer from down-under. However, not only had I never heard of him, 'twist' didn't fit any of the cross-links with the other clues, so was rejected. As for 19d, I've counted 31 other animals to which the answer would apply (there may well be more). As it happens, a collection of said pachyderms of 19d could also be a flock or a parade. Which begs the question, what would an assemble of pink elephants be called? A butter dish?
22 of 64  -   Report This Post

tomcat

20th January 2011, 19:15
Ach! Butter-fingers! I meant 'assemblage'!
23 of 64  -   Report This Post

tomcat

20th January 2011, 19:51
While I think about it, I'd be grateful if someone could elucidate 1d. Assuming I've got the right answer (a style of vehicle described as 'touring' by some manufacturers), I can see the 'to hurry back' part of the clue, but not the rest of it.

Thanks
24 of 64  -   Report This Post

bees

20th January 2011, 20:08
Greetings all! Is it my imagination, or has RT shortened the closing dates? I forgot to post week 3 for a few days and now I'm too late.
25 of 64  -   Report This Post

karen

20th January 2011, 21:12
Hi Tom Cat. 1d took me a bit of time to work it out!
say(anagram of state)+to run fast (backwards)for end of clue. I do hope I'm not confusing you. However I may blasted by being more forthright!
Anyway gives you the name of a type of car. I do hope that helps.x
26 of 64  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

21st January 2011, 08:17
I am concerned by Nimrod's absence. Does anyone recall if he had said that he was going to be holidaying in some foreign clime?
27 of 64  -   Report This Post

wee jock

21st January 2011, 13:20
CARAVAGGIO et al.
Looking back through the archives it would appear that the last posting from NIMROD was 8JAN when he was complaining about non delivery of his RT. Perhaps he is still.We all hope he is well.

Dear sweet, beautiful KAREN,ma wee hen,you are much too kind and generous with your help but we love you just the same.

NUFF SAID.
WJ

28 of 64  -   Report This Post

mondrian

21st January 2011, 15:55
In last week`s thread I asked after Nimrod too and he did not respond. I do not remember him saying he was going off on holiday. In fact before Christmas and just after he sounded very upbeat even offering to come in a tractor to rescue you Caravaggio with some supplies during the snowy conditions!!

I can`t get on at all with all my blank spaces. For 18 Across I cannot get the TV drama. Any little pushes in the right direction would be appreciated.
29 of 64  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

21st January 2011, 16:11
Thank you for that, Mondrian and Wee Jock. The answer to 18a could hardly be described as a drama but I suppose it's difficult to categorise it as anything else. The first word is the one-word title of the 1974 Eurovision song contest winner [Big hit] and once you have that, Mondrian, you'll appreciate my previous ramblings...
30 of 64  -   Report This Post