CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crypto

18th January 2011, 23:06
Hi Ann

It's in Egypt. The Lavender is not a colour (note it has a capital letter which is not just because it is the beginning of the sentence in the clue). I'll leave it at that for now!
11 of 64  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

19th January 2011, 05:47
On re-reading last night's post, I should have said that the second part of the answer is a plural noun and, as you'll appreciate, the answer will end in s...
12 of 64  -   Report This Post

wee jock

19th January 2011, 13:29
HOWDY FOLKS

Thanks PIPESMOKER for the warnig at the top of this site.That should deter the preditors.

Not such a good puzzle this week,no really clever or quirky clues and nothing to laugh at,at all.A bit dull really except, as CARAVAGGIO pointed out,
the grammatical disagreement between clue and answer at 13d(was tis deliberate?) and my learning at 7a about use of abbreviations in chess.
Does anyone remember,a few years ago when the RADIO TIMES printed the wrong set of clues to go with the printed grid?
May I say that I hope that folk keep asking for help and guidance and get it without being spoonfed.

BEST REGARDS
WJ
13 of 64  -   Report This Post

dg_gremlin

19th January 2011, 14:58
Hi folks,
Sorry i've not been in touch for a few months - busy busy busy. (a bit like the "workers" in 10d). I've got a version of it finished. Just like pipesmoker i got 24a last but i'm not convinced. I can't quite get it to fit nicely. I think its the article which is "a" or "an" usually, but where does the "r" come from?
DG
14 of 64  -   Report This Post

karen

19th January 2011, 15:16
Hi DG, re 24ac the answers in the clue,within the first two words. Hope that helps.
15 of 64  -   Report This Post

dg_gremlin

19th January 2011, 15:42
D'oh!

Thanks Karen
DG
16 of 64  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

19th January 2011, 17:03
On WJ's point about the wrong grid being published, this is a fairly common feature in my local newspaper. The questions are usually of the sort that you just fill in the answers between bites of toast, but creating your own grid to take them spices things up a bit. Another fault of this paper is to repeat last week's crossword, or to give the answer to this week's this week.

Still, it all gives me something to whine about.

P
17 of 64  -   Report This Post

tomcat

19th January 2011, 18:41
Hello all. Just finished. 1d, 7a and 15a were the last three to resist overnight. 7a was a bit of a teaser in that it had me thinking of DBEs rather than other types of knight. After reading Crypto's hint, I realised that I had fallen into the trap of thinking the answer to 6d was related to a colour. Hailing originally from the County Palatine (that of the red rose, of course), I was naturally ignorant of the geography required to understand 14d. This week's puzzle has rather tested my tendency to guess the answers before having fully worked out the clue. Its only now when reading through the completed grid that I'm able to appreciate some of the subtle, and not so subtle, hints buried in the clues. All-in-all, an interesting challenge this week.
18 of 64  -   Report This Post

ann

19th January 2011, 22:03
Thanks Crypto for your help with 6D.The penny has finally dropped!

ann
19 of 64  -   Report This Post

mondrian

20th January 2011, 12:38
I`m finding this one difficult. Had to resort to Quick Solve for the workers. I seem to remember we have had this word before in the past year. Also thank you for the clue about the female knight. I was going off on the wrong track for this. So these two may help me, otherwise I shall have to come back for yet more hints!!
20 of 64  -   Report This Post