CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mondrian

15th January 2011, 13:50
Now get it for the bird plunging across the Atlantic - strange American spelling!! Will look out for that in future.
51 of 61  -   Report This Post

tomcat

15th January 2011, 15:28
Mondrian. I fear you may have to elucidate a little more on 23a. I take it you are referring to an American bird? The nearest I can get is the name given to a young immature bird of prey that is a popular breed for falconry across the pond. Does this accord with your line of thinking?
52 of 61  -   Report This Post

mandala

15th January 2011, 17:22
There are American birds in this family. However the link to the Left-Pondians is that the answer is the past participle of an American verb meaning to plunge. The bird family is question contains some wild species as well as the domesticated racing bird seen in films such as The Full Monty.

Hope that helps.

53 of 61  -   Report This Post

tomcat

15th January 2011, 17:59
Thanks, Mandala. In which case, I've had the correct answer all along.
54 of 61  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

16th January 2011, 13:23
In Post No 30 of this thread, Bees left me with something to ponder. I have pondered.

Presumably, the pipesmoker would 3,3,3,1,4 the first of the first coming together with the last of the last to make silver. (Then I suspect the pipesmoker would have to extricate his pipe from his tonsils).
55 of 61  -   Report This Post

siamcat

16th January 2011, 13:53
Can I further add to the "bird across the Atlantic" bit?

In 1968, schoolboy Robin Lee Graham set sail for a round-the-world trip in a boat named Dove.

Coincidence?
56 of 61  -   Report This Post

siamcat

16th January 2011, 13:56
Oops, sorry.

Meant to say D--e
57 of 61  -   Report This Post

bees

16th January 2011, 13:58
Oh yes,Pipesmoker. It's a dangerous game, trying to get hold of a green cormorant.
May I draw everyone's attention to BBC4, Tuesday, 9.00pm; they're repeating "Who Killed Caravaggio". I missed it alst time.
58 of 61  -   Report This Post

wee jock

16th January 2011, 16:24
fao MANDALA re post 53

Past participle? Surely this would be the same as in ENGLISH ENGLISH.
What you meant to say,I'm sure,was the imperfect tense(Am.)of this verb which is a homograph of this blessed bird.

fao BEES and PIPESMOKER re posts 54&58

Keep the party clean!

REGARDS
WJ
59 of 61  -   Report This Post

wee jock

16th January 2011, 19:13
AND AN OTHER THING.

What I'd like to know is:

Is a dove a doo,Dad? Is a doo a dove?
Is a cow a coo Dad? A sparrow jist a spyug?
Is a wall a wa' Dad? Is a dog a dug?
She's gaun tae warm my ear Dad,
Insteed o' skelp ma lug!

REGARDS
WJ
60 of 61  -   Report This Post