CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sallyw

17th December 2010, 15:53
Condolenes Ann. I lost my father 2 years ago just before Christmas and know what it's like. Hard enough any time of year, but Christmas being a time for family makes it all the more difficult.
81 of 121  -   Report This Post

wee jock

17th December 2010, 17:49
Howdy Folks(old radio show)

Thank you NIMROD for pointing out, once again,

that we try,on this thread,not to give direct

answers to clues.I think you are being much too

gentlemanly and suggest that it should be a hard

and fast rule that we NEVER NEVER NEVER GIVE

DIRECT ANSWERS!!! (Grumpy old man)

Well,having got that off my chest I'd like to

introduce a lighter note to these doldrum days of

RT CROSSWORD deficiency (The new one will not be

out until 28)

Here it is. A few replies back, on RTCS,NIMROD and

MANDALA were remeniscing on past TV series which

they enjoyed like HOUSE OF CARDS the one about

Polly's boss and I was wondering if anyone can

remember a 6 part serial called "OLIVER'S TRAVELS

with Alan Bates and Sinead cussack about an ex

don crossword enthusiast who goes in search of amissing Times compiler together with a policewoman. Early nineties. It's not in Penguin

Companion. I wonder if it's on DVD .

NUFF SAID

WJ
82 of 121  -   Report This Post

murphy

17th December 2010, 19:02
OLIVER'S TRAVELS! Wonderful - often think about it and wish it would turn up again.
83 of 121  -   Report This Post

crypto

17th December 2010, 19:09
emf - if it's any consolation I too read Della as Delia which 'stalled' my answer - it was the second to last one that I finally got it.
84 of 121  -   Report This Post

tomcat

17th December 2010, 20:43
Received my copy of RT yesterday. Sign of the times, I suppose, that I headed straight for the crossword. I've just finished it; 9d, 12a, 35d and 52a providing the last stubborn resistance. 31d was a nice tease, leading one astray with its hint of something Turkish. I'm not sure I understood 52a but there's only one sensible answer to it anyway, and unknowns (14a) are usually x. So what to do now its finished? Back to the Xmas cards I suppose.
85 of 121  -   Report This Post

karen

18th December 2010, 00:14
Hello tom Cat,52a, can only connect it with rugby (union and league) I think one having 4 points for a 'try' the other 5. Hope that helps. I think, that's how I worked it out after staring at it for a while.Best Wishes.x
86 of 121  -   Report This Post

mondrian

18th December 2010, 10:12
We seem to have acquired some new contributors - welcome all. Like Tom Cat I have always gone straight to the crossword page of RT, quickly followed by the pages with little paintings/photographs illustrating the radio programmes. Anyone else like them?

Its now my turn to wish our English friends all the best the snowy conditions I hear you have. We have had our share but I suspect it may return.
87 of 121  -   Report This Post

butterfly

18th December 2010, 13:37
My condolences too Ann. I've just lost a friend of 28 years (met when our kids went to school).
Finally got my copy on Tuesday just before travelling to London to see my daughter. So you know what I was doing as we travelled up - my husband was driving not me by the way! Only stuck on one and yes I know I cheated this time as no one posted any extra clues to 24a. But finished it now.
Happy Christmas to one and all and all the best for 2011.
88 of 121  -   Report This Post

emf

18th December 2010, 13:48
i wish you all well, and thanks for any help with crosswords. The snow has fallen and though looks lovely is very cold. i have flu bug so not at my best today. But did finish the RT one and was actually pleased, hurrah.
89 of 121  -   Report This Post

ann

18th December 2010, 14:03
Thanks to all for kind and thoughtful condolences.

Once I got started on the Christmas Xword I raced through it with no problems but am stuck on last one - 8D.I have ?O?N?R? Just can't see it.
90 of 121  -   Report This Post