CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dhope

23rd March 2024, 23:23
If it is a Maskarade Easter jumbo it will be perfect Easter Egg!
81 of 93  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

24th March 2024, 08:55
Hi everyone, I enjoyed this more than some people seem to have! I am stuck on a few that don't seem to have troubled anyone else in sw corner. Could I have a gentle hint for 24a? Just not seeing it, or 18d for that matter. Thanks :-)
82 of 93  -   Report This Post

wulimaster

24th March 2024, 09:09
It might help to realize that the solution is built around the second word.
83 of 93  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

24th March 2024, 09:18
Ah got it, thanks. Turns out I was parsing it right, just couldn't find the word. And 18d made me smile now I have the pdm!
84 of 93  -   Report This Post

pault

24th March 2024, 09:24
That preschool Australian thing is not so obscure. Often right in your face as you walk in to my local WH Smith.
85 of 93  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

24th March 2024, 11:17
Thanks, dhope. I had the word and should have googled it instead of just using the dictionary!
86 of 93  -   Report This Post

micky

24th March 2024, 15:45
Hello, if anyone's still around. I started on this late, because for some reason no Grauniads were delivered to our local newsagents. Eventually I ventured into the 21st century by doing it online. Like many people, I found some clues difficult, with 16d particularly puzzling, but unlike one or two people, once I had figured them out I thought all the clues were perfectly good, except perhaps "viper", which relies on a very archaic use of the word. Although I managed to fill in all the solutions, there's just one clue that I still can't fully parse. It's a clue which nobody else has mentioned as difficult, so I must be missing something really obvious. It's 3d. 2 word definition; no problem. Clue for last 3 letters; no problem. Between those two is a word which seems to be a clue to the first word of the answer. But that leaves 2 letters for which I can see no clue. Can somebody make me feel like a fool, by telling me what really obvious thing I'm missing?

87 of 93  -   Report This Post

chrise

24th March 2024, 15:48
first word = registers
2nd word anagram Y(our) CORE
88 of 93  -   Report This Post

micky

24th March 2024, 15:59
Oh my god! Obvious indeed! Thank you, Chris E. I was reading it as first letters of "your core exercises".
89 of 93  -   Report This Post

longtimelurker

24th March 2024, 23:42
I've just had chance to sit and finish this then decided to treat myself with a browse through the forum. Somehow I was very familiar with the dog, despite not having children of the relevant age, but I had completely failed to spot any theme in the clues or answers. Even being told that there is a theme doesn't really help me spot it, though I understand what the theme is. Interesting how my mind picks up some information and squirrels it away for future use while I remain completely unaware of other information.
90 of 93  -   Report This Post